pond plants are in

Hey all you pondies(lucky people!!!!)

Golden Acre has in it's pond plants. Looked like some neat stuff there. (I want a pond but I live in an apartment with a very small balcony). Go get some plants and invite me over!!

Most green houses open on the first Sunday of May (tomorrow). I can't wait to go, but I actually need it to warm up so I can get my pond up! No pond, no plants... -_- Today's weather was glorious, a hint of what may eventually come.

Maybe I can get my pond up next week and the week after get plants (fingers crossed!).

The fish in my 65g have grown quite a bit, they are no longer the little 2" feeder runts they were when I got them last spring.

The one garden center in Spruce Grove actually asked me which plants I would be interested in and ordered some in!

I would invite you over, but I think the drive is a bit too much!

Hey all you pondies(lucky people!!!!)

Golden Acre has in it's pond plants. Looked like some neat stuff there. (I want a pond but I live in an apartment with a very small balcony). Go get some plants and invite me over!!

I bought some Canna Lilies, and put them in pond pots a week ago. There are leaves sprouting up already. Thanks Crystal for all your wonderful advice and ideas.

I have to get a head start on summer - maybe the lilies will bloom this summer before they freeze up in September. I hope to be able to put the plants outside around the first of June. I was at Sunnyside yesterday. They have some pond plants in too, and lots more coming in this week.

Hey Fishclubgirl - when I get my pond all up and running and the plants and fish in it, you are welcome to come over and see it. I think I might buy some Koi. I think they are so pretty.

Can't wait for summer

I'd love to come over and see it when it's going. I'm so jealous!!! I want my own pond!!

I'd love to come over and see it when it's going. I'm so jealous!!! I want my own pond!!

What do you classify as a pond?

My 6yr old neighbor kid convinced his parents to put a 80-90 gallon storage container on the deck (from Canadian tire), for which he is going to buy a water lilly, 2 water lettuce, and 10 mountain cloud minnows. From $3 week allowance, he figures he already has enough - I didn't have the heart to tell him most lillies around here are $30+. I will probably give him some other nice marginals I wintered over instead.

Doesn't need to be huge to be a pond! ;) (look at my pond made from a $45 kiddie pool...)

Actually I had a 35 g "balcony" pond in my old place that I got at liquidation world. Set up a bamboo screen behind it and put plants on glass blocks behind and in it. Had feeder goldfish in it and spent many evening sitting next to my pond. Not sure if my condo board allows this and also have nowhere to put the goldfish when it gets colder. Just have to dream, I suppose.

Actually I had a 35 g "balcony" pond in my old place that I got at liquidation world. Set up a bamboo screen behind it and put plants on glass blocks behind and in it. Had feeder goldfish in it and spent many evening sitting next to my pond. Not sure if my condo board allows this and also have nowhere to put the goldfish when it gets colder. Just have to dream, I suppose.

I grew strawberries and some plants in a rubbermade container on my balcony. Not that I have a real yard I seem to lazy. I have been trying to negotiat for a pond/waterfall but so far no luck. may have to play the puppy card.

I am afraid that I can't do much about the condo board and its rules.

As for overwintering, the lfs takes most of the feeder fish back that I bought that spring - because they are bigger and command a higher price, I only overwinter my few favorites. Or just perhaps move the pond inside? An indoor pond would be cool, especially if you make it look permanent - a study/attractive wood frame which hides the cheaper container and filter.

Call it an oversized plastic fish tank. ;)

Does the condo even allow fish tanks? or are they too worried about the strain that the dead weight would put on the building structure?

Considering I keep smaller tanks 10-20 gallons, there's not really a concern about the weight but don't tell the condo board that I have 14 tanks and 30-40 bettas in a one bedroom. Funny story about my last place, the management were aware ofmy pond. When they were repainting, they sent out a letter advising all tenants to cover all items on balconies including "ponds" Must've had some of my neighbours wondering!!

Considering I keep smaller tanks 10-20 gallons, there's not really a concern about the weight but don't tell the condo board that I have 14 tanks and 30-40 bettas in a one bedroom. Funny story about my last place, the management were aware ofmy pond. When they were repainting, they sent out a letter advising all tenants to cover all items on balconies including "ponds" Must've had some of my neighbours wondering!!

Lol. I wonder who decided to add that to the letter? It must have generated a discussion!

I can't imagine some of the reactions you get when you tell people that you have 14 tanks...

People think I am crazy for 4 fish tanks! Then think I am totally nuts when they find out I have a 55g and a 65g, the other two are a 10g and a 12g.

Then they ask the names of my fish...

There are some live pond plants over at the north Canadian Tire in Red Deer now.

I bought a lily and some sort of fuzzy floaty plant that's mixed in with duck weed. Super excited to start my first little pond outside! Just hope the plants survive the cold the next couple days. Threw a water heater in there set at 65 and covered it in plastic in the hopes that will keep it all warm enough.