Oscars and EBJD

Brian G

I would not put the EBJD until it is at least 5 inches or so...any smaller (from experience and research) really stressed the EBJD. After 6 inches or so, my ebjd was able to live with others.

Js

How fast do Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's grow, and with the fire eel being a foot or so long is that big enough for him to be left alone? Also if I decided to go with just oscars how many can i put in a 115-120gal. tank with my fire eel, and perhaps a black ghost knife fish?

Edited by Brian G

Google ebjd growth rate here and you can get an idea of how fast my ol' EBJD grew...I think 9 months? from one inch to 7+ inches. Not sure about the fire eel. With the price of EBJD...I would want to risk it if I was in your position. Get a 30 gallon tank and use it as a grow out for the EB.

Js

Google ebjd growth rate here and you can get an idea of how fast my ol' EBJD grew...I think 9 months? from one inch to 7+ inches. Not sure about the fire eel. With the price of EBJD...I would want to risk it if I was in your position. Get a 30 gallon tank and use it as a grow out for the EB.

Js

What were you feeding him for him to grow that fast? I have read that their growth rate is slower than that. Heck it took my 3" female JD about 9 months to grow to 6", but then again they only get fed once a day.

My regular JD's are in a large tank with my tiger oscar and some other fish, I find my JD to be more aggressive towards the oscar than he is with them. I would buy an oscar that is smaller than the JD, since they do tend to grow much quicker. I would say give it a try, you never know how well it will work. How wide in diameter is your eel? Remember that oscars have big mouths, and anything they can fit in their mouths they will try to eat.........and I mean width wise not lengthwise. I have seen plenty of fish eat long skinny fish.

I fed mainly NLS with shrimps, clams, mussels, etc (puffer food) as supplementary food. I would not try it just because of the hefty price on teh EBJD. Like I said, they get stressed easily especially at a younger age. It's up to you.

Js

Hey firestorm my eel is about 1" from back to belly and a tad smaller side to side(I mabie am going abit small). If that gives you a good enough visual. Will he be in danger of Oscars or Dempseys. I am actually looking for tankmates for my Eel so if he will be in danger I will go with something else. Another option I was thinking of is some golden severums, Firemouths, Black Ghostknife and an african butterfly fish.

• 2 weeks later...
I fed mainly NLS with shrimps, clams, mussels, etc (puffer food) as supplementary food. I would not try it just because of the hefty price on teh EBJD. Like I said, they get stressed easily especially at a younger age. It's up to you.

Js

everytime i open my computer i always look at your ebjd picture coz im inlove i like the pattern of coloration and the shining electric blue ..im planning to try to keep this mutant fish can you give me some advice what to do the basic to keep this...i appreciate it...i dying with your fish...wow

Do you have an ebjd? I would advice to keep in alone until it hits about 3 inches (at least). I feed often...maybe 3-4 times per day...about 5-10 small size pellets. I do water change once per week about 30-50 percent...depending on time.

I found that after hitting 2.5-3"...adding peaceful tetras helped with the skittishness.

Good luck and post some pics.

Js