Algae ID?

Oneiroid

Just when I thought I had first hand experience with just about every aquarium algae, another one comes along.

This algae ranges in color from light green to dark green, and in some areas it has turned almost a rust color (though the rust coloured areas do not seem indicative of dying patches). It feels gelatinous, and slimy as slimy gets. Its filaments look like fine strings of green beads - visible in the picture - and they move like anemone tentacles in the current.

I've had this for some time now, letting it grow out a bit. It only seems to be growing on the wood hardscape and filter parts... not bothering even my most algae-susceptible plants.

Could this be a type of Cyanobacteria?

Have a look:

algae.jpg

Edited by Oneiroid

I can't help you on that one, But when you find out what it is let me know. I have the same thing starting on a piece of driftwood in my 60 gal quarantine tank I have in the basement. I picked most of it off and brushed it with a spinbrush, but it's coming back.

I can't help you on that one, But when you find out what it is let me know. I have the same thing starting on a piece of driftwood in my 60 gal quarantine tank I have in the basement. I picked most of it off and brushed it with a spinbrush, but it's coming back.

Curious... if I find an answer, I'll be sure to post it here.

Whatever it is, it looks sweet. I don't think its cyanobacteria though.

Haha, I agree! I haven't tried killing/removing it because it actually looks really cool and isn't bothering my plants.

The reason I thought cyanobacteria was a possibility is becuase of its 'beaded' filaments - often seen in cyanobacteria electron microscopy (on a much smaller scale). And because it's just so darn slimy.

Though, I don't think that cyanobacteria would be that organised...

With my addictions to mosses, I was wondering where I could order it from!!

I've been growing almost every aqautic moss under the sun, and haven't seen anything quite like this! Maybe I'll have to go into bulk production and distribution lol.

If no one tells me that this is an evil, invasive, and harmful plant (uhm, plant?) then I'll fire some your way :boxed:

Oooo pretty... :lol:

I don't get/see where the slimy part is... but slimy=cyano in my book.

ETA: Now that I think about it... I'm sure I had some stuff like that wound in amongst the roots of some java fern I got once from a'bad place'... kinda like a plant that never dies and will take over the world if you let it.

Edited by chloeclose

I'm gonna guess it's a staghorn algae? I had something like that once. Very thick and coarse, with a sort of slick feeling (rather than slimy?) Mine branched a little more if I remember correctly.

I'm gonna guess it's a staghorn algae? I had something like that once. Very thick and coarse, with a sort of slick feeling (rather than slimy?) Mine branched a little more if I remember correctly.

I believe you are correct on that one Werner. :) Mine was more stringy.... and in a little betta tank with no filtration it would never die.

I'm fairly certain that this is not staghorn algae. I've had some bouts with SA and it was always very dark in color and also liked to hang out on the edges of plant leaves. It also didn't have a pronounced beaded effect. This stuf appears to be thick, but if you grab it between your fingers, it feels like there is very little substance there at all. Definitely not coarse, but most definitely slimy!

Interesting for sure. Don't know what it could be either. Do you have an account on Tom Barr's site? http://www.barrreport.com/ I am sure someone on there would be able to tell you exactly what it is. I go there every now and then to get some expert info on certain things.

It's a great suggestion. The Planted Tank and Plant Geek forums are also quite helpful for planty things. I'll try there tomorrow and post back any findings. All suggestions still welcome from the locals here, too!