bichir eels

somnio

Actually someone on here has successfully bred ornates before i believe. I have a pair or ornate around 15" long male and female that are inseparable but no luck yet....I keep mine with my Asian arowana, 6 Datnoids, catfish,tire track eel, and a pleco. I use normal tap water at about 82 deg f. 40% water change a week and lots of filtration on my 220 gal.

Edited by CORVETTE

well thanks for filling me in on that fact, i have read up on them and people have successfully bred them.. i was just asking if anyone on here and how to tell male and female. thank you corvette. it seems like my bichir has stopped growing, it grew like a weed then just slowed to a halt he's about 5 inches i think, any suggestions on how to get the poor guy to grow again? i feed frozen and shrimp pellet occasionally. and he's in a 50 gal tank.

thanks

water temp is warm 80 degrees, they get fed once a day with a mix of blood worms and brine shrimp, once or twice a week they get crickets (for the butterfly fish, but everyone else digs in its funny watching tetras try and eat them) and every so often i put some shrimp pellets for him and the synadontis. i got him a petsmart they tagged it as a dinosour eel... could be a sengal but i'm not sure,i would love to get a ornate but i dont have the room in my tank right now. its hard to tell if i have a male or female with out a reference point with his tail

My 6" longfin and my 6" albinos eat massivor pellets from Hikari and i feed them market shrimp choped up and they love it. Just feed them as much as they can eat and take out the left overs so it doesn't mess up your tank. Also keep up the water changes. The Bichir that amazed me was my Delhezi i put him in at like 6" and then never really seen him for months (hidding in the rocks) then one day i was changing the tank around and out swam this think 10" long bihcir, i had never seen him eat once but wow did he grow. i'm going to try to get some picture of them againg this weekend i'll post them if i can.

• 4 months later...