Killifish Eggs

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience...

I ordered some eggs (N.Eggersi) from Ebay a month ago and they just arrived yesterday, but when I opened the container all I found was 1 egg out of 50! The sellers claim that the eggs can crumble which would explain why I only had 1 egg. They are going to send me another batch, but I was just wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge of these eggs crumbling? The supposed collection date was marked as April 4 with a hatch date of May 3.

There is a type of bacteria that can get in and devour the eggs while in shipment. I have heard about it happening before. I haven't ordered any online myself, but have a friend who is literally a killi expert told me this. He said usually he has about a 40% chance that this happens with him. Many people don't find anything but peat in the package, I guess you got lucky to find 1 lol.

You are very lucky, most sellers won't reimberse or resend eggs if that happens. They usually tell you the risk of that happening, and if it happens it's not their fault. Keep that single egg still, ya never know, they don't always hatch when you expect them to. I wonder why it took a month in shipping though, where were they located and how did they ship?

I ordered plants from malaysia and they are only supposed to take 5-10 days to get here by regular post

Edited by firestorm

They're in Thailand somewhere...I can't remember the city...but ya, it took a whole month! Crazy. Oh well...hopefully the next bunch turn out better...i'm crossing my fingers & toes! hahaha

i just got some killi eggs in the mail from thailand they took a month to get here but the hatch dates were still good, may 5 -12. i did not check to see how may eggs there were. i seen one for sure. i put them in a peanut butter container with tap water and just dumped the peat and eggs all in. it has been 24hours and there is at least 5 fry swiming around. so far so good. i did not even declorinate the water. i was just hoping the water would be declorinated by the time they hatched.

i also ordered 3 other types of killis from karl in bc off of aquabid. they should be shipped soon.

i was also colecting my eggs from my gardneri's and putting them in peat in a ziploc bag they were in there for about 3 weeks and i put them in water a few days ago and a few hatched but i can only see one now. i had about 45 eggs in the peat and they have been in the water about 3 days

Very cool fleshgear! Glad to hear someone had a decent experience with eggs in the mail!

So are you going to stick with leaving the eggs in the water the entire time or continue to take them out and put them in peat?

Even if you only see one egg, or none, I would still try to hatch them out and ya never know, there might be more than you thought.

With my killi's since they laid their eggs in the plants, I just moved the moss over to another tank and they hatched all on their own. I know with different types of killi's you need to use different processes to hatch them. Good luck on your next batch :D

• 2 weeks later...

I got my eggs in the mail on the 14th and hatched them yesterday...I have 6 fry so far...they hatched within hours of being put in the water which was cool...I have sifted through the remaining eggs and still see some that are eyed up so i'll continue to airate the water for a while longer.

Anyone know if the fry still need to keep an airstone in the water for the fry or is moss and feeding them enough? Any suggestions on how often to change out some water? They're in a tiny bucket at the moment, which is easy for me to see them and keep track of them so there is probably only half a litre in there right now.