?!?!?!?!?!? FIGHTING OR MATING?!?!?!?!

turtlechick

My 2 oscars have just recently started kicking the crap out of each other. There's not a whole lot of damage, but it looks fricken NASTY when they fight. What I though was the female is the aggressor usually, but when she starts to back off, the male does a tail wagging movement which leads me to beleive mating.......it's been going on for about a month now, though. Someone tell me!

don't know what to tell you.... males shimmering say breeding to me but video or pics would be cool to see. i don't get to see oscars much.

tell me what size are the oscars? what size of tank?what other fish are in the tank? with that I can tell you if its mating or fighting.

Edited by rED O

They are 7 and 8 years old, in a 110 gallon, 2 large plecos, and have been together their whole lives.

is the 110 gallon a 6' or 5' tank? how big are the oscars? have they done any digging in the sand?

this sounds like mating.

sometimes in the oscar world, sometimes if there is no male and just two females, the females can display traits of a mating pair. Can you post a picture of the oscars? are they beat up at all?

this sounds like mating.

sometimes in the oscar world, sometimes if there is no male and just two females, the females can display traits of a mating pair. Can you post a picture of the oscars? are they beat up at all?

Psh just display traits we had 2 females lay eggs in our tank. Both laid eggs and figured they were fertile.

You could put in some fish for them to take their aggression out on. We used to buy Tiger barbs took them forever to finally catch and the oscars fought with those instead of eachother.

Edited by RyanGSP

• 2 weeks later...

hi i have 3 oscars one tiger and 2 red..i just got the tiger oscar and red , i had the one red for about 3 months then jsut added the other 2 and at first they were all at the top of the trank and it seemed like they needed more air it looked like they were gasping for air so i put a bubble thing in there tanka nd now they seem to be fine..but now the red oscar i had first which is the smallest is being very mean to the other two he will bit at then and him and the tiger oscar will shake there tails the other red oscar wont do nuthing it jsut trys to get away but doesnt fight back or shake its tail..i dont know much about the fish or if this in normaly or not or if they need to be in different tanks or what, so if anyone can give me a little help as to wat i can do for them or y there acting like this that would be very greatful...thanks so much..Alyssa

hi i have 3 oscars one tiger and 2 red..i just got the tiger oscar and red , i had the one red for about 3 months then jsut added the other 2 and at first they were all at the top of the trank and it seemed like they needed more air it looked like they were gasping for air so i put a bubble thing in there tanka nd now they seem to be fine..but now the red oscar i had first which is the smallest is being very mean to the other two he will bit at then and him and the tiger oscar will shake there tails the other red oscar wont do nuthing it jsut trys to get away but doesnt fight back or shake its tail..i dont know much about the fish or if this in normaly or not or if they need to be in different tanks or what, so if anyone can give me a little help as to wat i can do for them or y there acting like this that would be very greatful...thanks so much..Alyssa

best thing to do is start your own topic.