thread algae

I've been having a lot of problems with thread algae, so I did some research. I read that hydrogen peroxide will get rid of it. On Sat, May 9 I put 2ml(per gal of water in a 10 gal tank - 20ml of HP altogether) in a tank using a syringe and squirting it where the worst parts were. Thirty min later I did a 50% water change. There were Endlers, both adults and fry in the tank and they are all fine. I tried the same thing in 2 more tanks, both with fish, with no observable damage to the fish. Now, almost a week later, I do not see any thread algae where a week ago, I could hardly see the floor of the tank for all the green. All plants and fish are fine and the tanks look great.

Peroxide can be used to get rid of it, though only use small amounts. Hydrogen peroxide can decrease your pH being it's acidic, so using too much can harm your fish. When I use it I only squirt some on the bad parts, or you can do a dip with part water and part peroxide with your plants, it has less chance of melting them than excel.

Question for ya Werner &/or Firestorm...

I have a small piece of driftwood with Riccia on it that has developed a crazy growth of this thread algae...If I were to put the whole thing in a bucket and try this squirting of HP on it and then rinced it with old aquarium water at water change time...would it be ok? Melt the riccia or anything? remnants of the HP on the plant that would harm my bettas?

I'd be careful with the riccia; my friend tried spot dosing his riccia with excel and managed to melt it all away. I know vals are sensitive to spot dosing with both excel and HP (same effect - both chemicals melt them away), so you might be in the same both with your riccia.

I'd be careful with the riccia; my friend tried spot dosing his riccia with excel and managed to melt it all away. I know vals are sensitive to spot dosing with both excel and HP (same effect - both chemicals melt them away), so you might be in the same both with your riccia.

Riccia was one of the plants that I had that had heaps of algae on it. I had used a syringe with hydrogen peroxide in it to spot treat the plant in the tank and it is ok a week later. I also had a piece of driftwood that had lots of algae, so I removed it and placed it in a 30% solution, then rinsed it in a pail of old tank water and the jave moss it still ok.