"Victoria Cyprichromis" - Haplochromis thereuterion

patrick

This is one of the new species that I imported from Europe. The parents to the specimen that I have are from University of Leiden where they were kept for research purposes. The great thing with University fish is that the exact collection point is known and also the ID of the fish is 100% accurate. They were collected at Senga Point and I have 8 fish that are F3's.

Haplochromis thereuterion is often referred to as "Victoria Cyprichromis" because of the similar "sardine" shape but also because they just like Cyprichromis are open water fish. They can be found in large groups in the open water along rocky shores. According to several sources they also spawn in the open. From what I have heard the small fry are sensitive and can be somewhat tricky to raise.

They have grown extremely fast and are now reaching maturity. This male is courting the females.

As the male matures he will get more red anal and tail fin and also more dark contrasts on the body.

haplochromis_thereuterion-002-750@.jpg

haplochromis_thereuterion-003-750@.jpg

haplochromis_thereuterion-001-750@.jpg

Edited by patrick