water fleas??

ABwildrose

The other post about bugs has got me thinking about the little bugs on the surface of my tank. I have a bunch of tiny little bugs that hop around on the surface of the water and hang around the lotus pad leaves. I just noticed them not too long ago. The neighbor kid (12 yrs old) says to me "Oh, those are water fleas and they have been in that tank for at least a year now. I wouldn't worry about them as they haven't seemed to harm your fish in all that time. I have been keeping an eye on them."

Is that really what they are?

Yep, don't worry about them, they come in through almost anything but seem to frequent planted tanks consistently. Add a killie or two and tape down the lid cause there will be some lid smacking going on. Killies love them and even guppies eat a few. They are not easy to net buy even transfering a few to a killie bowl is a good conditioner for breeding. I had a tonne of them at one time after I bought that stupid waterflea package of I think it was Tetra brand and it came in a squishy package. Now whether they can hurt young fry or eggs or not that I am not too sure, though I think they are big enough.