more sump questions

rED O

Okay, tank is almost done now the sump.

How do I calculate the size of input and output piping size I need.

The sump is 70 gallons and the pump moves 2640 GPH. I think the inside dementions make it a 426 gallons of water, not tank size but water it will hold.

Will this be enough filtration or will I need to keep some of my canister filters?

ideally, you want your sump to be at least 1/3 the size of your tank.

It is possible to get away with a sighhtly smaller sump.

I have a 200 gal tank being filtereed by a 30 gal sump.....I do find that it is too small as I get micro bubbles in tank.

a 70 gal sump may be too small Especially if your power turns off. i'd go with a 150 gal sump for safety.

Edited by fish4fun

Dustin,

I had to learn about my sump the trial and error way. If you want to come by look and ask questions some time, PM me and I'll give you the tour and answer what questions I can.

Roger

Dustin,

I had to learn about my sump the trial and error way. If you want to come by look and ask questions some time, PM me and I'll give you the tour and answer what questions I can.

Roger

sure,pmd

70 gal maybe a bit on the small side but will still work a 90 or 120 would be best. Dual pumps like mag drive 18's or 24's would get you decents circulation through 1" pipes each, and I alway perfer 2" returns. Use bio media like bio balls and ceramic rings, and fill that baby full. so remember that a 2640 gph pump with head and pipe loss with get you at the most 1700-1800 in the tank. I would keep the canisters too, circulating them in the sump not only will it help your tank, but in an emergency you could set up a tank or rubermaid for treatments using a canister trouble free. Also use GFCI breakers on your power supply alot cheaper than the alteritive.

Best of Luck.

I am not worried about it overflowing because my dad made a little thingy that has a sensor on it so when the water reaches the top of the sump, it will sense the water and he also got a solenoid valve that will snap shut if the water reaches that level. Its very handy and one of a kind :w00t:

I need to sell two of the canisters, so I can only keep 2 out of the four.

I am not worried about it overflowing because my dad made a little thingy that has a sensor on it so when the water reaches the top of the sump, it will sense the water and he also got a solenoid valve that will snap shut if the water reaches that level. Its very handy and one of a kind :w00t:

Sounds like you have it under control then.

Dustin, that should work fine, but does it run on electricity? If so, it won't help you when the power goes out.

As has been stated, have a look in my post there is a link to a pipe sizing calculator. You plug in some numbers and it tells you how big the pipes need to be.

Boom :boom:

Dustin, that should work fine, but does it run on electricity? If so, it won't help you when the power goes out.

As has been stated, have a look in my post there is a link to a pipe sizing calculator. You plug in some numbers and it tells you how big the pipes need to be.

Boom :boom:

it works like.... when the water in the sump reaches the top it shuts off, so yes it runs on power. But! also, when there is a power outage the solenoid valve closes when the power goes off.