My Bristlenose Pleco's, I have eggs!!

BlackMumba

:thumbs:

Well, I had purchased a few Long Fin bristlenose plecos two years ago at one of the auctions, just for fun to see what would happen... if they got to big I would just sell them no biggy.

Well as i turned out, I have a proven breeding pair, I checked today in the cave.. and Mister pleco was in it.. so I waited and he moved to his usual spot, I thought I would check again.

Yep!!! Bright Orange eggs neatly in a pile.. I would say about 40 for sure without counting.

I am very excited, I moved my betta's that were growing out in the tank with them, I read it takes about 10 days then another 4 to 5 days before they are going to be everywhere in the tank...

and Yep on a strict diet of NLS !!

Can I ask what is your water parameters and how big the tank is? I have a gravid female but the male doesn't do much to coax her into releasing the eggs? Infact he just beats her up everytime there is wafers in the water. :well:

Okay I have taken photo's its my photography skills not Patrick's... so, excuse the quality of them ! LOL th_IMG_3003.jpg th_IMG_3002.jpg th_IMG_3004.jpg th_IMG_2948.jpg th_IMG_2869.jpg th_IMG_2850.jpg th_IMG_3007.jpg th_IMG_2966.jpg

The second last picture is Momma, coming out to investigate wafers, and the last photo is their tank mates... the betta's leave the pleco's alone.. as you can see my tank is covered with baby pleco's.. There has to be over 50 maybe even more then 70, I have not tryed to count. Patrick and I are in the process of doing an experiment, my water is specially conditioned with R/O mix and minerals because our well water has a ph of 8.8 high with sodium.. this high PH water works great for our victorians but not so great for breeding betta's although betta's do well in this water when adult but fry are never produced.. I also breed shrimp which wouldn't do so great in these extremes.

So, Patrick and I took 4 baby pleco's at 3 days old to see if the extreme water difference would effect them in anyway. It appears it doesn't so far, we are waiting for a bit longer to move these guys over to a larger more roomy tank this tank is only 10 gals, and mom and dad pleco are very prolific so far the dad pleco is in his cave always... and she is almost ready to go again :boxed: