heater help

rED O

Boxing day, I was at big als in the morning to pick up two 300 watt heaters for my 500 gallon tank. I thought 600 watts would be fine. But since I bought them I never looked at them, but I did notice they were a little on the small size. On the box it says up to 75 gallons :well: up to 75 gallons for a 300 watt heater? I thought 300 watts was 300 watts? up to 75 gallons? The brand is marineland.

http://www.aquatichouse.com/Pumps_files/heaters.asp

will I be fine or is this a crappy heater? I have always used ebo jager but they do not make a 300 watt.

any help?

:cuss: marineland. I put it in in 75 gallon tank right out of the box. I have the heater working at 28 and my tank is at 21. The heater turns on every 5 mins for 10 seconds then shuts off. If a 300 watt can't heat a 75 gallon how can 2 heat a 500. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: I droped 55 bucks on 2 :cuss: heaters and they are pieces of :cuss:

anyone else have this problem with marineland?

I have one marineland 300 heating my 300 gal right and run a second 300 in the winter. My tank is at 81 and can up to 85 right now. Mind you this is an acrylic tank with no sump and 2fluval fx5's, a koriela 8 and 2 ehiem pro 2028's. So it is well insulated and has some heat from filters too. Maybe your heater is faulty mine stays on longer than that.

:cuss: marineland. I put it in in 75 gallon tank right out of the box. I have the heater working at 28 and my tank is at 21. The heater turns on every 5 mins for 10 seconds then shuts off. If a 300 watt can't heat a 75 gallon how can 2 heat a 500. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: I droped 55 bucks on 2 :cuss: heaters and they are pieces of :cuss:

anyone else have this problem with marineland?

I paid more than that for my single fluval 300 on sale. I guess the short answer is they are not a great product, but they are cheap. I found the basic marinland we started with allowed for too wide a temperature swing (3c) for my liking. I specifically looked for an electronic unit and ended up with a fluval and a rena.

You may be having an issue with the safety system in the unit. You could try unplugging for ten minutes, making sure proper water level and unit is upright, and twist the dial back and forth between the stop s a few times. I found if it was not vertical, at the right level it, or touching anything it would act up with the behaviour you describe.

I do wonder how much wattage is needed if you want to be up at 28c on a 500G. I have 500W for my 90, but I also have sissy lights and I know lighting can add a lot. I keep it at 25 and even when the house is 17 I seem to have a comfortable overhead (60% of the time on).

LOL, I bought the same one... Marineland, but the black plastic one problems you can't see if it's on...

I was able to heat up my 230 with one 300 watt heater from GE Pharmacy(sorry forgot the name of heater), running 2 350 magnum and AC500. With the new Marineland. nope can't do it, now using that heater on my 90.

Dustin, you might be able to bring it up to temp when you have your sump going and having your tank well covered. Right now I am using that same one from GE in my 280 with a sump and the temp is turned right down, the sump is supplying most of the heat.

thanks for all your help guys. the 75 gallon is getting up to temp now. The people at big als told me I need 1500 watts :rolleyes: seems excessive.

It will work with alot less than 1500. 900 watts should be more than enough unless your tank is in a well airconditioned spot. If you go with a drip system you don't even need a an electrical heater if you have a hot water tank and mix your drip water with hot and cold.

Plywood is also one of the best insulators for building aquariums with as far as heat transfer goes as well, so the 600 watts should be fine as long as they actually work. I have one 300 watt heater on my 200 gallon ply tank and it's more than enough IMO; it can get the tank to 90 without a problem (anyone recommend any GOOD controllers?).

Plywood is also one of the best insulators for building aquariums with as far as heat transfer goes as well, so the 600 watts should be fine as long as they actually work. I have one 300 watt heater on my 200 gallon ply tank and it's more than enough IMO; it can get the tank to 90 without a problem (anyone recommend any GOOD controllers?).

I was hoping you would chime in Kyle. I wasn't to sure of my answer after I thought about the plywood and how well it insulated.

I was always told that a tank should have between 3-5 watts per gallon. That being said, you do have a plywood tank and it should hold heat better than glass. But for 50 buck, I would throw an extra heater in for the "just in case factor".

• 2 weeks later...

Dustin,

I have 500 Watts heating my 200 gallon tank.

I highly recommend getting a 300 +Watt Won Pro Heat titanium heater (or 2)

They have a remote on the outside that use to set the temp.

I find them to VERY accurate,