Rays

fishnchips

Wow!Seeing and reading all the info on the rays just blow me away!I was at Big Als yesterday for 2hrs drooling over the rays there.One of the girls said that the pair in the tank with the huge Arrowana is pregnant and will be giving birth in about a week or two.

I was wondering,are there any rays out there that are not 3 feet or more across at adulthood?Is there a ray that is like 18" max as an adult?Are the Motoro's the smallest out there?Keeping these would be nice,but not realistic if you can't supply a proper setup for them.I'm so envious of you guys who have the room to keep these beautiful fish :tongue: !lol!Walter

I am also new into rays. Motoros are the bigger ones I think... correct me if I am wrong anyone. If you want a small stingray, your best bet is the reticulated stingray (teacup stingray).

Motoros can get fairly large but I would put them in the middle for size. You have your ceja and china rays as some of the biggest for home aquaria then castexi,tiger and flowers, followed by motoros,pearls,leo,henlie,p14,xingu sp and a bunch of other not as common rays then in what you would call small rays is te rectics,hystrix and scobina. Thses will stay below the 18" mark but still require large tanks due to how much urea they produce causing loads of ammonia.

Thanks for the fast responses guys!For now i'll just research and admire from the side since i don't have the proper setup.I've been wanting to get back into Fronts again,but been having second thoughts and wanting to go a little more exotic.I'll just continue to cycle my tank and sit on the sidelines and keep reading and learning from you guys.There are so many friggin' choices out there,it's giving me a headache!!I want them all!!!lol

As skynoch said the retics, hystrix (true), and scobina stay under an 18" disc, but that's still going to need a tank 36" wide and preferrably 8' long. The retics stay a bit smaller, but have very long tails so still need the 36" width. It's definitely worth the investment and time with rays; they're such interesting fish to sit and watch once they become accustomed to their home (though honestly motoro's IME are boring and don't do anything but sit there).