Building a 3 shelf 33 gallon unit, any help

MarkN

I am looking for plans, or a website that may be able to help me build a shelving unit for 3 33gallon tanks. I am sure lots of people out there have built them so I am looking for some dos and dont's you may have run into before I get going on it. I am not looking for a work or art but something to look reasonably nice as it will be going in a semi high traffic area that allot of people will see. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Mark I bought some really nice shelving units at Costco recently. They hold about 900 pounds per shelf! They can be configured a couple different ways. Cost was about $80.

Wow thats impressive, do you know the dimensions? Was it the Beacon hill Costco? Wood or Metal?

There are decent looking shelves called "Gorilla Racks" that you can buy at Costco, Canadian Tire, etc. i have a full set of them at my place and i used to put my 10 gallon tanks on them until i got bigger tanks than the shelves would allow, lol. the box mine came in claimed that each shelf would hold 500 pounds but with the shelf being akin to thick particle board i don't think i would quite trust the full weight they claim. a 33 gallon with substrate, decor, water, etc. would probably be getting close to the 500 pound mark, but with the weight distributed evenly over the shelf as a tank would it might work for you.

i wrapped my shelves with clear shower curtain from the dollar store to ensure water did not spill on the shelf and warp it. the stand was really easy to set up. rubber mallet was all i needed. no screws or bolts. the shelves can be configured as one tall unit or the way i did it was to put the two halves of the unit side by side with an upper shelf and lower shelf on each. mine came with metal clips to secure the two halves together side by side, making the whole thing a little more stable. if you do it as a tall one piece unit, i would definitely anchor it to the wall, into a stud, and not put a tank any higher than halfway up the upper half of the unit.