You Won't Believe This - UPDATED

Blue Ram

I have been raising a EBJD I purchased 3 months ago. It is now double the size it was and is becoming a tank buster -it's now 4" long. Last night I didn't see it swimming around and when I spotted it - what the !!! It's mouth was completely extended - it tried to swallow an oto cat and it is stuck in its mouth/throat! I removed the JD from the tank and tried to take the oto out with a pair of sterilized tweezers - no luck. Put the JD back in the tank and no change this morning. Is there anything I can do? Will the dead fish eventually deteriorate enough for the JD to pass it?

Edited by Blue Ram

CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY. THAT IS COMPLETELY INSANE. I wish i could help or even think of some idea that might work. Maybe a 2 person removal. One holding the fish and it's jaws open and the other trying to remove the other fish. Don't know if that might work better. It might take some wiggleing but that is all that i can think of that might work. I can't picture it. I'm completely shocked that something happened like that.

Good luck and i hope something works.

L

Take a needle nose plier and firmly hold the oto and shake the ebjd out of the water till the fish comes out--- same as catch and release fishing

Take a needle nose plier and firmly hold the oto and shake the ebjd out of the water till the fish comes out--- same as catch and release fishing

That sounds like a good idea just make sure he doesn't go flying too far. Good luck

L

Well this morning, the EBJD looked better - its mouth is almost closed and was able to eat some veggie flake with its usual gusto. I don't think the oto has completey passed but it is a 100% improvement. I'll keep him on veggie flake so it's easy to digest for another couple of days. I guess I'd better catch the other otos before he tries that again!

Use some epsolm salts to help with passing the oto. I've been told it's a good laxative and it can't hurt.

Glad to hear it's doing better

Good luck

L