Update-Sand for freshwater

lt1fj40

Ok, ever since all you fine people have told me I could use sand for my FW aquarium I have been on the look out for some nice cheap sand...I decided I really liked the white sand but didn't want to pay 25 bucks for 20 lbs that you see it for in local pet stores...

SO I started looking into pool filter sand..and yes the do sell white pool filter sand...but where to buy it in Edmonton remains a mystery as I visited a dozen places with no luck...then I called a bunch of landscaping companies and found some "Hawaii White Sand"...now it is not as sharp white as the stuff for 25 bucks but it is way more white then normal play sand and the best part is was 10 bucks for 100 lbs... I will see if I can get some pics of it when I put it into the tank.

I am not sure about the forum rules about posting a company name so if you want to know where I got it just PM me!

Edited by lt1fj40

You can get it cheap at Sil Industries

www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=116%20Avenue%20Nw&city=Edmonton&state=AB&zipcode=T6S&country=CA&geodiff=1

look under Sandblasting sand in yellow pages.

I had in all my tanks and it works great.

Ok, ever since all you fine people have told me I could use sand for my FW aquarium I have been on the look out for some nice cheap sand...I decided I really liked the white sand but didn't want to pay 25 bucks for 20 lbs that you see it for in local pet stores...

SO I started looking into pool filter sand..and yes the do sell white pool filter sand...but where to buy it in Edmonton remains a mystery as I visited a dozen places with no luck...then I called a bunch of landscaping companies and found some "Hawaii White Sand"...now it is not as sharp white as the stuff for 25 bucks but it is way more white then normal play sand and the best part is was 10 bucks for 100 lbs... I will see if I can get some pics of it when I put it into the tank.

I am not sure about the forum rules about posting a company name so if you want to know where I got it just PM me!

Care to name the landscaping company where you found this? Inquiring minds want to know. SIL Industries agregates are of good quality but are by no means that inexpensive.

SIL Industries agregates are of good quality but are by no means that inexpensive.

Are you kidding?

I got 40 kg (88 lbs) bags of sand from SIL for $17. How much cheaper do you want it?

Boom :boom:

I did Sea Jay good call on the sand..I really like the fact you can pick your grain size, cant do that at a landscaping company! I think the Sil sand looks great, the one I picked up was 20 bucks for 100 lbs and it is pretty white but also has some cool transparent grains as well..cool effect I think.

Thanks again!

you know what i get my pool sand in our used pool filter sand coz im maintenance in hotel with pool so only you need is wash it very well coz theres some still chemical there...but dont worry i tried already in my tank...nothing happen to my peacocks community tank...if you interested i can grab you coz im going to the city by this june 26.