how to rid my tank of snails

loki

so i recently bought a bunch of plants, and even though i checked them all.....i have a butt load of baby snails. I'm really cautious about what to use in my tank because of my black piranha. i know they are tough fish but i would not risk my pride and joy!!! so any ideas on what would rid my tank of these little buggers???

Throw in a large piece of cucumber, wait till early morning and you'll find the snails on the cuc...then just remove the cuc. Or you can get yourself a yoyo loach or something, but i'd assume that the pirhana would eat them just the same. I've heard that the 'Snail-B-Gone' stuff doesn't really work all that well...I personally just leave 'em be. When they get to be too many, they tend to bunch up at the surface for some reason (snail happy times??) and I just scoop 'em out.

Blue Botia loaches!!!

I had malasian trumpet snails in my 90. I now raise snails in my other tanks so I can feed the Botias.

But with a piranha, I don't know how other fish would interact with each other.

Pick and squish method works to control of snails, same as cutting back on feed. Maybe a larger clown loach that could fend off the piranha?!

Good luck,

Derek

I would not risk adding any other fish with him.

One really good way to at least keep their numbers at bay is to place some lettuce or spinach (tied to a rock) or cucumber in a jar and place it in the aquarium. In the morning the jar should have snails in it. Remove the jar, and discard of all the snails and rinse the jar well and keep doing this until you are satisfied. If you want to make sure there are none left, you can then try using copper in the tank to rid of them all. Copper should not harm your pirhana, only any inverts.