My eheim external canister is losing POWER!

jesp

I have an eheim external canister filter, type 2212 (the classic one, not the brand new kind). It has been running for about 5 years and at times it has started to lose power and just needed a good cleaning, but now it does not matter if I clean it, the water is barely coming out, and I mean dangerously low. I would like to do anything I can to not have to buy a new one.

A guy at the LFS informed me that the propeller sometimes needs replacing but the canisters should last for a very long time. He said that Wayne's in calgary has the parts for that. I am not sure how accurate this information is however.

Can this actually be fixed? Has anyone had this problem? If anyone has any ideas of how this might be solved, I am all ears.

Thanks.

post-4146-1245373077_thumb.jpg

Have you made sure that all the hoses and tubing are cleaned out and not too plugged up? I've had some of my Eheim's for well over 10 years (one for at least 15 years running continuously) and I've never had that problem. If the hoses are fine and it's not just plugged up (it could even be something in the and around the impeller - have you cleaned that out as well?), then I'd try a new impeller. Best place for that is Piesces, up on Edmonton trail and McKnight.

• 4 weeks later...