Swollen Dwarf Puffer

EowynJane

One of my puffers is really swollen right above his eye. The skin is very tight and almost see through in some spots, I've had a good look at it and I didn't see any injuries of any sort. It's not discolored, fuzzy or anything else, just really really swollen, it looks like it's filled with water. He's still active and eating well.

Is there anything I can do for him? Tank is scheduled for a water change tomorrow, I usually do about 50% water and vacuum but I admit I've been a little slack, WC is a little over due. Besides other puffers the only other occupant in the tank is a small Bristle Nose. I don't think I can add salt to this tank can I?

I've gotten pictures that I will try to post tomorrow... any help would be appreciated.

Is the tank planted? If not, go ahead and add salt. It could be pop eye

The affected fish should be immediately taken out to be separately treated. It is difficult to specify a specific treatment unless the main cause is definitely known. Large daily water changes should help, if not Epsom salts has been used with good results to draw the fluid out. One tablespoon per 5 gallons of water for at least three days, longer if necessary. Epsom salts isn't really salt (sodium chloride) it is Magnesium Sulfate. If water quality is the problem, a 50 percent water change must be made as soon as possible.

If a new item was added to the aquarium recently, it should be double checked that it is not poisoning the water or letting off chemicals. The quality of the water conditioner that is used should be checked that it has a good opinion by other aquarists. If the water readings are wrong (high nitrAtes etc), a 50 percent water change is recommended again and 15-20 percent water changes 3-5 times per week, until the water readings are correct. Overstocking is a common problem for high water readings. Another common reason would be decaying dead fish and fish food. The tank should be thoroughly searched for any dead fish and precautions must be taken NOT TO OVER FEED, and if the tank is overstocked, steps should be taken in finding some of your fish another good home. If a bacterial infection is the cause we would recommend 'Maracyn', 'Maracyn II', 'eSHa 2000' and 'Anti-internal bacteria' for treatment.

Edited by sharuq1

I thought Pop eye would affect the eye itself, this is above his eye. The eye itself looks fine, not cloudy at all.

Tank is quite well planted, can epsom salts not be used in a planted tank? Or were you thinking of regular rock salt?

Do you think I should try an epsom dip for just him?

Edited by EowynJane

Epsom salt can be added to a planted tank, but it is Magnesium Sulphite and won't do much for the infection. It does act as a laxative, tho. A salt dip (sea salt, aquarium salt or artificial reef salt) may help.

Some plants are intollerant to salt. If most of your plants are Java fern/moss, Anubias, Val & Swords, you can add a teaspoon per 5 gal.

Minus the sword and val and that's exactly what I have in my tank plus some najas. I'm not terribly worried about the plants to be honest, I can always pull more out of my other tanks. I was more worried on how the pleco and the puffers would handle the salt. It won't burn them? 1 tsp to 5 gallons is pretty low, is that why you suggested that dose? In the past I have used 1 tsp per gallon or 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

I had my dward puffers in brackish water for a while, they were totally fine in it, so adding that little bit of salt should not be a problem. 1tsp/gal should not bother the pleco either. You could try some melafix or pimafix (or both) as well as the regular aquarium salt as an anti-infective.. The reason the article mentions epsom is not as an anti-infective but as a means of shifting the fluid out of the tissues.

Minus the sword and val and that's exactly what I have in my tank plus some najas. I'm not terribly worried about the plants to be honest, I can always pull more out of my other tanks. I was more worried on how the pleco and the puffers would handle the salt. It won't burn them? 1 tsp to 5 gallons is pretty low, is that why you suggested that dose? In the past I have used 1 tsp per gallon or 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.
Edited by sharuq1