Betta Fin Rot?

NomiDemekin

I'm afraid to say one of my bettas, my super delta, seems to have developed fin rot while I was away on a vacation. It is not a bad case (maybe affecting only 25-30% of his fins) but I'm still freaking out. I'm doing daily water changes now, but is there anything else I can do to help along the healing of his fins?

I'm afraid to say one of my bettas, my super delta, seems to have developed fin rot while I was away on a vacation. It is not a bad case (maybe affecting only 25-30% of his fins) but I'm still freaking out. I'm doing daily water changes now, but is there anything else I can do to help along the healing of his fins?

by the sounds of it your betta got the rot due to deteriorating water quality while you were away.

i've found really good results with a product called "Betta Revive". it contains methylyne blue and malachite green, so it will stain softer plastics, silicone, and suction cups. daily water changes of 100% along with new application of the med is the route i took and all the bettas i had that had fin rot recovered completely.

IMO, i would go with at least a week of just large volume water changes, 100% daily if possible, to see if this helps first. if you have substrate in the bowl or tank i would remove it to assist in keeping the betta's environment super duper clean. plastic and fabric plants can be boiled to get rid of the bacteria that causes rot. and be sure to wash up good in between maintenance/cleaning on the betta's tank and your other tanks!

Thank you everyone for the replies! As of right now, I've continued with the daily water changes and took out the substrate and decorations (I'll do the boiling water thing just to be on the safe side). I can easily pick up some antifungal at the store I work at. The only meds I have on hand are melafix and the usual aquarium salt. Once the infection is gone, will light dosing with melafix be helpful?