Help....

stribbelldk

Hey. I came home yesterday and decided to do a water change on the 5 tanks. I usually do about a 50% every 10 day, and have been doing this for 2 years. yesterday I only did a 35% WC because I was out of Prime and was feeling too lazy to go buy some,. I did use a franchise name brand "multi-purpose Bio-support" that removes nitrate ammonia and chlorine from water.

After all the WCs, I thought I would treat the fish to some mysis shrimp. The Mysis shrimp are about a year old but I soaked them in garlic for taste.

I woke up this morning and went looking at my fish. My 90 of cichlids is fine, the 15 with Tangs is fine, the hospital/nursury is fine, the 50 with sunshine peacock and goldheads are fine, but the syno and fry tank was not. I had 5 dead synodontis petricola and 5 dead electric blue fry.

I had about 15 synos, 7 electric yellows under 2" and a boat load of electric blue fry(50-60). I immediately removed all the dead fish and did a test to the tank. ph 7.8, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, but the nitrate is about 20-30 ppm.

I know this is a little high but I am worried if I do more water changes, I will get the same results. Dead fish.

Could this be from the water quality, the shrimp, the water changesor something else???

As you see I could transfer fish to different tank but if it is the fish and not the water......

Do I ride the storm and pray for no more causulties???

Comment sugestions??

Derek

If you will excuse me now, I have a funeral to attend to.... :cry:

S. petricola seem to be a little more sensitive than most fish, IME... and fry as well. You may have had an ammonia spike when you did the WC that took the filter a little bit to process. I'd get some more Prime before doing another WC.