Dwarf cichlids

lt1fj40

Does anyone know if any of the Dwarf Cichlids specifically (Apistogramma and Microgeophagus) can handle a bit of salt in their water? I am thinking of adding a few to my community tank which I use some aquarium salt during water changes..I was told it helps the fish with gel coat and stuff.

I have done some reading and they say you treat sick cichlids by adding salt to the tank but it doesn't say if they handle that long term or not.

Thanks

Rob.

I wouldn't do it long term -if you need to treat the fish for a specific ailment that requires salt then it should be okay short term but as a rule apisto's and rams prefer a more acidic and softer water

I wouldn't do it long term -if you need to treat the fish for a specific ailment that requires salt then it should be okay short term but as a rule apisto's and rams prefer a more acidic and softer water

I agree with JORG about the apistos and rams, though my Neolamprologus Multifasciatus seem to prefer a bit of salt - then again, they do prefer harder water.

Unless you are treating for an illness or have fish that require brackish water, you do not need to add salt to the water.

Dwarf cichlids(apistos) prefer softer water and no not require salt.

Multies(Neo. multifasciatus) also do not require salt. They do prefer harder water but not added salt. Sometimes people add buffers to the water to harden it but thats different then adding aquarium salt.

Unless you are treating for an illness or have fish that require brackish water, you do not need to add salt to the water.

Brackish fish will probably need marine salt, not aquarium salt.

To be honest, I would say it's probably okay, how much do you put in? Depending on the amount, it may buffer the pH slightly, as long as it's slightly it's not a problem. That being said, I will agree with the others and say aquarium salt is not really needed, better to just skip the salt IMO.