How To Make a Decorative Pond Fish Ready?

I have a small-ish pond in my backyard (roughly 300-400 gallons), but as far as I know, it's purely decorative as of right now. If I wished to make it suitable to keep a few goldfish in (Hibuna, shubunkins, wakins), what would I have to do? I know I would have to clean it out, instal pond liner (if it has none, it might), a nice filter and pump and a net covering for those pesky cats and herons. Perhaps a water trough heater for the winter.

But I have no experience with ponds, and I would love any and all advice and tips on converting a mosquito metropolis (alright, it's not that bad) to a goldfish paradise.

You do not need a pond liner to be able to keep gold fish. you can drain the pond and line it with cleaned crushed rock to keep the dirt from getting in the water. You will need some type of filter and pump. look for a pump that will cycle the pont around 5 time per hour and a filter rated for duble the ponds size. As for a net it is not required but it will not hurt any thing.

To be able to over winter the fish in the pond it needs to be deep, like 36" or something. A trough heater will help but that is a lot of water, you will also neet to curculate the water through out the winter to keep the O2 up in the pond.

Go to Natures Corner or PM them on here with what you want to do and they can set you up with the best equipment.

I have a small-ish pond in my backyard (roughly 300-400 gallons), but as far as I know, it's purely decorative as of right now. If I wished to make it suitable to keep a few goldfish in (Hibuna, shubunkins, wakins), what would I have to do? I know I would have to clean it out, instal pond liner (if it has none, it might), a nice filter and pump and a net covering for those pesky cats and herons. Perhaps a water trough heater for the winter.

But I have no experience with ponds, and I would love any and all advice and tips on converting a mosquito metropolis (alright, it's not that bad) to a goldfish paradise.

The shubunkins and possibly the Hibuna (no experience with hibuna in the pond) should do fine (with a heater in winter), but the fancier goldfish (fantails of all sorts, etc) seem to need warmer waters than their relatives. The temperature swings seem to be very hard on them and cause issues with the swim bladder. My mom bought me an oranda, but it has to remain inside as it kept having swim bladder problems (which disappeared every time I took it inside) even though the pond ranges from 22 midday to 17 at night - it is against the house so the temp doesn't fluctuate as much as one in the ground might.

Might want to research golden orfe, they are supposed to do fantastic in ponds in the "great frozen north". ;)

As for pond depth, I have a friend in Edmonton with an 18" deep pond, who overwintered fish - but I don't even want to know his electricity bill... A tank or kids pool in the basement seems to work well if you have the room.

Edited by Crystal