Plants for Cichlids

riflemn

I was wondering if plants are neccesary for African Cichlids and if so which plants should I be looking at buying? I am setting up about a 50 gallon tank with lots of rocks.

Edited by riflemn

anubias varieties, vallisneria, java fern, sagitaria, echinodorus tennellus might be tolerated by cichlids. However, if you are creating a biotope tank, its best to have just rocks with lots of hiding places, and no plants. African cichlids live in rocky areas where no plants grow.

Take a look at these videos if you haven't done so already.

Plants are not necessary for african cichlid tanks. I have just set up one, with sand and slate and rocks..I also don't have an air pump, I just let the flow from the AC110 aerate the water.

Raj

Edited by catshanon

Thanks for the info regarding plants. I am trying to set up something that is visual pleasing as well as a healthy environment for the fish. The visual part is for my wife so that she does not disown me as she sees what it is costing me:-) I will post a photo when I get it done.

Edited by riflemn

The plants menchend above should work but remember that some cichlids are just jerks and will up root anything for the fun of it. Im having success vallisneria right now with a snad bottom and have had success with anubias and java fern on rocks in the past.

anubias varieties, vallisneria, java fern, sagitaria, echinodorus tennellus might be tolerated by cichlids. However, if you are creating a biotope tank, its best to have just rocks with lots of hiding places, and no plants. African cichlids live in rocky areas where no plants grow.

If you want to blur the biotope line a bit: several plant species do exist in the more pebbled/sandy, lower current areas of lakes Malawi and Tanganyika. Some that could be used in the aquarium are Vallisneria spirialis, Ceratophylum demersum (hornwort), and Myriophyllum spicatum (Eurasian water-millfoil).

Plants can be hit and miss with Malawians. I've personally never had any troubles keeping them with mine, but many have. I keep my tanks rather heavily planted, so even if the fish do eat some of the plants there's enough in there that they won't eat them all (cichlids don't even compare to silver dollars for plant eating capability). Jungle vals are my personal favourite to go with Africans, and there are plants similar to them found in and amongst many of the reefs in Lake Malawi.

Plants can be hit and miss with Malawians. I've personally never had any troubles keeping them with mine, but many have. I keep my tanks rather heavily planted, so even if the fish do eat some of the plants there's enough in there that they won't eat them all (cichlids don't even compare to silver dollars for plant eating capability). Jungle vals are my personal favourite to go with Africans, and there are plants similar to them found in and amongst many of the reefs in Lake Malawi.

Thanks for that info. I would like to have to have plants in my tank and will look for some Jungle Vals