guess what i found yesterday........

BettaFishMommy

so me and my kidlett were walking from the transit terminal up to the mall near home and i see the sunlight glinting off something beside the recycling bins in the parking lot............

a vintage chrome trim 20 long! glass has hardly any scratches, and the few that are there are only on the bottom panel! the chrome trim is in perfect shape, and all it needs is a good cleaning and resealing. Woo hoo and yay me! i'd post a pic but AA is trying to tell me that a 16.1 kb photo file is too big an attachment..... wth?

Yah, I am kicking myself now, because I also place about 5 tanks by the dumpster about 8 years ago. Hey I didn't know this site was around back then> LOL. Boy I wish my wife would let me keep my stuff when we moved.

Edited by letsgofishn

am not a garbage picker! lol. it was sitting on the ground beside the recycle bin.

so does anyone have advice on how to go about resealing this tank? between the chrome and the glass there is a black tar substance and i need to know if i have to remove all of that or if it's ok to leave it and just redo the silicone on the inside of the tank?

here's a link to it on photobucket (oooooh...... shiny....... lol):

BFM's free retro tank!

so nobody can help me on getting this tank resealed? do i have to remove all the tar stuff or can i just reseal the inside of the tank? any help or advice is much appreciated as i really want to get this retro tank up and running!

Clean the inside corners, make sure that there is no oily film left. Use GE1200 or similar silicone and seal the corners well. I've done 50 year old aquariums that had the gray puddy used as a sealant and I was able to get them water tight.

Good luck

PS

Follow the instructions in this thread for resealing http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=11713

Try and scrape as much of the tar stuff and old sealant as possible. Clean out the tank well, so there is no residue and then apply the new silicone.

I resealed a chrome tank a few months ago that had a similar black substance(like black silicone but stickier) and clay putty. I just tried to remove as much of it as I could. It was pretty easy to scrape it out with a razor blade.

I increased your posting limits for pictures by taking you out of the Members group and going into the Edmonton group. That should give you lots and lots and lots of space for more pictures!

Good luck with the tank, that's a helluva score!