Bleeding Heart Tetra Mating Rituals?

SomethingFishy

I have 3 bleeding heart tetras and I notice that one pair does a strange 'dance', mostly in the evenings. Basically, they are side by side but head to tail, and then float almost horizontally around each other, kind of flipping, and alternatively going upright and sideways. Is this mating behavior or territorial behavior? I notice that they stake claim to a certain area near the front of the tank, and the 3 can get quite aggressive and will chase each other within this territory, while mostly ignoring other fish (except for the red minor tetras, which despite their smaller size, have no problem testing the waters, so to speak).....

By the way, for those looking for tetras, I recommend the bleeding hearts. When happy, they are a beautiful pale purplish with the heart marking standing out, they are nice to watch.

Probably my favorite tetras of all time! You are witnessing breeding behaviour. If you stick around a bit after lights out - maybe w. just room lights on - you may actually get to witness the female spread eggs.

• 1 month later...
Probably my favorite tetras of all time! You are witnessing breeding behaviour. If you stick around a bit after lights out - maybe w. just room lights on - you may actually get to witness the female spread eggs.

Very cool! Haven't seen any eggs or fry yet. I just rearranged the tank and replanted, so now I wonder if it'll take some time for them to adjust. I once had some diamond tetras breed unknown to me, and ended up with 3 babies surviving to adulthood. That are another very beautiful fish if you are looking for medium size tetras that won't bother anyone.

• 12 years later...