Using fish as feeders

I have used feeders as sometimes it's the best food and that's what these fish are meant to be in nature . This is no different than using other live foods such as brine shrimp and worms .

I keep several tanks and species of fish, none of which happen to be feeders. There's been some joking around as to feeding my lungfish. Just to set the record straight , it gets dog food. It would cost a fortune to feed him feeders. He also happens to LOVE the dog food.

When I'd like to buy fish from others here online , it is NOT for feeders. Like everyone else , I'd just like to keep them too .

Since you've read this, thanks for your time . I just wanted to declare my intentions since for me , this has become an issue. Sue

I'm not sure , I'm using up stuff a friend gave me when their dog passed away . It is a square flatish kibble. He loved the jumbo sized NLS but that was way too expensive to feed him in such quantities. I introduced the dog food and he swims around the surface waiting for it . He sucks a chunk from the surface then settles to the bottom and chews it . He repeats this and hunts around the surface until there are none left.

Edited by Qattarra

Weird. Is dog food ok to feed fish? Isn't it a bit oily? Does it leave a residue on your water?

Wouldn't a commercial trout chow(I think Hybrid feeds this), or a koi food be better and cheaper(compared to regular fish foods) to feed.

I'd also like to see a video of your lung fish eating.

Sue,

Your lungfish would be FAR better off eating a generic trout chow, which are typically very inexpensive, vs dog chow.

The dog chow will eventually kill your fish, as your lungfish simply isn't capable of assimilating the types of fatty acids, amino acids, etc found in dog chow.

Is dog food ok to feed fish?

Not if you value the health of your fish.

Edited by RD.

I do agree it's not ideal, it's what I have. Trout chow? From where?

BTW, the point of this thread was to address the concern that people have that if I buy their fish, it's to feed to my lungfish. I wanted everyone to know that it simply is not the case.