Recent Power outage in southern Alberta...anyone affected?

Bandi

Today is the day after a 13 15 hour (can't do math well) power outage in our area. I hear that Red Deer was affected and many other smaller towns in central Alberta. Weather related...tornador force winds and much lightening!

Our power went out a 8pm Sat night and didn't come on about until 10:45 am Sunday morning. I spent an all nighter doing 50% water changes on my four running tanks, pumping the primers on all the canister filters (6 in total) to give fresh oxygen and water to the bacteria and flushing the built in lid filter on my one 30g aquarium with tank water. I went to bed at 6:30 am Sunday morning when the power came on (answer to prayers) only to be woken at 9am to be told the power only came on for half an hour. So I got up and preformed water changes on my tanks again. Was halfway through the last tank when the power came on again...this time permenantly.

I didn't feed my fish all day yesterday just in case the bacteria in the canisters had been compromised...today water tests showed all good readings. So fish got fed.

All fish survived with only showing minor stress simptoms...pale color. But things are all now like nothing happened.

Any one else have stories they want to share?

Edited by guzookeeper

A couple cheap battery operated air pumps and a pack of batteries would ahve saved you ALOT of trouble. I keep 2 on hand for my little 40G SW just incase but am looking into a Vortech with a battery backup so there is always water movement.

A couple cheap battery operated air pumps and a pack of batteries would ahve saved you ALOT of trouble. I keep 2 on hand for my little 40G SW just incase but am looking into a Vortech with a battery backup so there is always water movement.

Yes, I have heard all about the battery operated air pumps and I understand how to set them up and how they work, but I am still concerned about loosing the bacteria in my 6 canister filters (three big tanks). The bubble filters will keep the fish safe during the power outage, but then I might loose most or all of the bacteria in my canisters. So in the long run, my fish may be affected or even killed by a mini cycle once the power is restored.

We faired with 8 hours of no power, so far our tanks had no problems thus far... .x fingers

BUt the worse for us was our Internet tower went down, it actually was snapped in half... we were out of internet until just now... so sorry about the delays in pm's :boxed:

But we are back in business :thumbs:

Yes, I have heard all about the battery operated air pumps and I understand how to set them up and how they work, but I am still concerned about loosing the bacteria in my 6 canister filters (three big tanks). The bubble filters will keep the fish safe during the power outage, but then I might loose most or all of the bacteria in my canisters. So in the long run, my fish may be affected or even killed by a mini cycle once the power is restored.

Should fair much better if you put the media in filter bags and keep them in the tank. As long as the water is oxygenated I don't think they will die?