Weight of a tank

maniac

Hey Everyone,

I want to upgrade my tank to a 55 gallon. I have got wondering about the weight of the tank recently and am wondering if this is feasible. I live on the second floor of a condominium building and am wondering if I should be concerned about the weight of the tank on the floor? Does anyone have any experience with this? I have been adding up the weight and am thinking that it will be between 500 - 600 pounds including the stand.

The tank will be located about 7-10 feet from an exterior wall and measurments are 36" L x 20" W. I'm just wondering what some thoughts are and may call the original builder tomorrow to get the measurements of the floor joists.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Chad

By all means, contact the builder, but six hundred pounds is really not all that much.

Would you hesitate to put in a loaded fridge. A water bed? throw a party where three big men stand in one spot BSing?

I don't think there would be a problem, my self. Now the land lord, that's another question.

Don't forget the insurance, always a good idea.

Rick

Hey Everyone,

I want to upgrade my tank to a 55 gallon. I have got wondering about the weight of the tank recently and am wondering if this is feasible. I live on the second floor of a condominium building and am wondering if I should be concerned about the weight of the tank on the floor? Does anyone have any experience with this? I have been adding up the weight and am thinking that it will be between 500 - 600 pounds including the stand.

The tank will be located about 7-10 feet from an exterior wall and measurments are 36" L x 20" W. I'm just wondering what some thoughts are and may call the original builder tomorrow to get the measurements of the floor joists.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Chad

Edited by Ruadh

I own the unit and have insurance so it's not a concern from that perspective but thanks for the input.

By all means, contact the builder, but six hundred pounds is really not all that much.

Would you hesitate to put in a loaded fridge. A water bed? throw a party where three big men stand in one spot BSing?

I don't think there would be a problem, my self. Now the land lord, that's another question.

Rick

Hey Everyone,

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Chad

I own the unit and have insurance so it's not a concern from that perspective but thanks for the input.

Rick

Hey Everyone,

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Chad

You may own your condo, but you should still check your condo regulation. Some regulations don't allow fish tanks over a certain size.

I use a stud finder and make sure I'm not teetering on a single board. I had a 30gallon that leaned but when I turned it the other way it crossed a few boards and was fine.

Edited by Baos