How often is a water changed required!!

what would the %'age of water should i change for:

210: Filtered by FX5, Fluval 404 (2), Emperor 400

Stock: RTG, Motoro

180: Filtered by Fluval 404 (3), Rena XP3 (2)

Stock: Barred Midas x 2

150: Filtered by Fluval 405 (2), Rena XP3 (2)

Stock: Argentea, Barred Midas

Usually, i do 15% per tank every 5 days STRICTLY. But with winter coming up, i do want to save some $ on water bills.

Ed

what would the %'age of water should i change for:

210: Filtered by FX5, Fluval 404 (2), Emperor 400

Stock: RTG, Motoro

180: Filtered by Fluval 404 (3), Rena XP3 (2)

Stock: Barred Midas x 2

150: Filtered by Fluval 405 (2), Rena XP3 (2)

Stock: Argentea, Barred Midas

Usually, i do 15% per tank every 5 days STRICTLY. But with winter coming up, i do want to save some $ on water bills.

Ed

Ed you're probably better off taking some of those filters off and saving money on power rather than water. I read an article on "100% effective filtration", you should look it up, or I'll send you the link. You could probably get away with 15% once a week even if you took HALF of the filters off of your tank.

I would also be cautious with overdosing Prime as you risk depleting the oxygen supply in a tank without sufficient biological filtration (and yes I know it's recommended to overdose in emergency situations).

Never heard this before. Do you mind explaining why?

Prime works by binding to the ammonia and rendering it harmless to your aquarium inhabitants. While the Prime is bound to your ammonia, it allows the biological filter in your tank to easily digest the ammonia. Because of this, Prime is a great product to use while cycling because it will promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in your tank. Since Prime is known as a "reducing agent," overdosing will lead to binding of oxygen, reducing the amount of useable oxygen in the tank. You should not use more than 5x the recommended dosage every 48 hours. This dosage should be sufficient to alleviate ammonia and will be safe for your tank.