sick africans

boomerbob

lost 2 in 6 days, now venestus and flame tail are in bad shape , red patches on body and fins , swimming eraticly , looks like loose

scales coming off ,not eating , have large clown loaches in same tank and they seem fine . did 2 heavy water ghanges in 3 days but

not helping . tryed aquari-sol last 4 days not helping . anybody know whats going on , checked all parrameters all is good.

Sounds like they are in rough shape. I have a rule and many might disagree but if I have a problem with my Africans I treat them with clout and nothing else. It's the only medicine I use or ever have on hand. I find that When Africans stop eating you should treat them with clout and the sooner the better.

Some questions

How much of a water change. What are the first symptoms you noticed. Is there aggression from one particular fish that might be causing it (loaches and africans?? that really works for you??) what is the size of the tank, fish, and filter,

What are you feeding them, do they have swollen bellies? Where are the red patches upper or lower body or all over, What size are the fish. What are the readings for the water (ammonia, PH!!, nitrites, nitrates.) Do you dechlorinate, How how long have the fish been in that tank and what was the last addition and when.

I wish i had some idea as to what it is but by answering as many of the above questions as you can we can eliminate allot of thing and when someone more knowlegeable comes along they will be able to diagnose and reccomend a treatment.(hopefully)

Good luck

L

Thanks for the replys , but to late they died last night . to answer some of the questions

1- all fish full grown

2- 65 gal tank with large ehiem canister filter

3- no aggresion from any one

4- had africans and loaches togerther for years

5- no new fish

6- never had anything like this before

7- did 25% water changes 2 times in 4 days

8- checked all levels ammonia , nit , etc all came at 0

9- this tank as all my tanks is well mantained

10- aquari-sol is only med i had and it helped kill ich and other problems in another tank last year.

11- no swollen bellies, feed them NEW LIFE SPECTRUM PELLETS ( allways done good on this food ) used it for years

This came out of the blue , the red patches first showed up near the tail and

within 24 hours it looked like they where loosing their scales , they lost appitiet

at the same time and began to float near surface , they did not show signs of

breathing problems but had lost control when swimming , on their sides, power

head would push them all over the tank. then this morning i checked them and

the venestus and flame tail were dead , loaches are fine as well as the 5 pleco's

that are in the tank , they have all been together a long time. so again thanks for

the help , ILL keep close eye on tank for the next while and see what happens.