Shipping from US to Canada

Stu

Does anyone know what I would have to do to have a fish sent from the US? Everyone I talk to has no idea.

I bought fish a few times from the U.S. and have them shipped to Edmonton. First of all, you have to find out if your supplier will ship to Canada. Most supplier don't do that. It's a hassel for them to export live tropical fish out of the U.S.

Second thing is to arrange the shipment. As we are in Edmonton, most likely there is no direct flight from the origin. so the shipment ahas to be transferred from somewhere, Toronto, Vancouver, Denver....you name it. Make sure it is the same airline and tell your supplier to check with the airline they book the shipment with if the custom is to be clear in Edmonton.

If not, say, has to be cleared in Vancouver, you may have to have a customer broker to clear it for you and tranship them tom you. Thirtly and last, clear the custom after the shipment is landed, if it arrives during office hours, you can clear it at th commerical custom office at the airport. This is easy to do.....But if it arrives outside office hour and you don't want to wait until the next day, you have to clear it at custom office in the terminal. They open 24 hours. This is the big hassel...... You may have to wait a few hours...often times when it's done, the flight cargo is closed.... the fish may have to stuck overnight......

Anyway..... the risk is high. Just my 2 cnets

Thanks everyone. It sounds like quite a gong show. I'm thinking it might just be worth the drive to pick up myself. I would hate to risk the life of a royal loach :thumbs: with all the possible problems.

I never had a problem when I ordered my H.Armatus from Infinite aquatics in the U.S. No brokers or certificates just shipping of $67 and GST on the fish at the airport customs office in Calgary and a $50 cargo handling fee you pay in cash when you pick them up. Couldn't have been easier!!!

Edited by t-man