Office Aquarium

dunl

Hmmmm.....plugging that into ww.garf.org I come up with:

18width x 25length x 256.5 inches high.

Positive side - no lighting needed.

Negative side - I'm not sure how the boss feels about a new skylight.... :shock:

??

Just a random thought... but do you mean "What load would a filing cabinet hold with a tank on top of it in my office?" or were you seriously thinking of turning a filing cabinet into a fish tank?

First questions are the quality of the cabinet, the load of the current contents, and the size of the cabinet... a 3 foot high, double-drawer from Wal-Mart will probably take a 3 gallon... but a 4 foot wide, heavy gauge steel cabinet could handle a 10 gallon, easy... as long as it's not plunked on the middle (would likely bow the cabinet).

The largest problem I see with this is the simple fact that the cabinet was never meant to take a load on top (minds back out of the gutters, boys) so you'd have to brace it somewhat, even if that means a 3/4 inch piece of MDF cut to the size of the cabinet top, to distribute the weight more evenly across the entire surface area. Since a cabinet's only support is on it's extreme sides and back (can't really have a post in the middle for support...) you'd need to ensure the weight was getting there, so to speak.

If you were thinking of converting a cabinet INTO a tank.. I would suggest modifying the drawers to simply be slide out flat shelves, and using 5.5 gallon tanks on each drawer. There should be plenty of room for them in all dimensions, and keep the weight down to a respectable load. A four drawer "22 gallon" filing cabinet would make an awesome display case.

one thing to remember with filing cabinets is the instability if you have it heavier on top than at the base. It will tip over if you have too much wt higher up than on the bottom. I know for health and safety regulations we have to ensure that the most wt is closer to the bottom.

one thing to remember with filing cabinets is the instability if you have it heavier on top than at the base. It will tip over if you have too much wt higher up than on the bottom. I know for health and safety regulations we have to ensure that the most wt is closer to the bottom.

Nothing that a few shims and a broomstick can't handle. 500 gallon is still the way to go. :huh: