so I got a used tank... now what to put in it....

Cgy_Betta_Guy

Is this how MTS starts???

So I was browsing some ads recently and saw someone selling a 40 gallon tank which I thought was an odd size, so I went to check it out for fun. Turns out it was actually a 58 gallon tank that matches my current 31 gallon tank which I had been eyeing at the store for the last couple months. The tank glass is about 10mm thick.

The guy was selling it with:

stand

canopy with 2x 42" 40W T8 fluorescent tubes

2 fluval cannisters (404 and a 405 which was newly bought a few months back)

large chunk of mopani driftwood about 2' x 1' x1'

2 big lava rocks (1'x1' each)

2 heaters(Jager 250W & 300W),

6 containers of food (probably tossing as they are too big or not suitable for any of my fish)

3 bottles of chemicals that I think are now expired (I wouldnt have used anyways)

2 extra T8 plant grow lights for the canopy

digital thermometer

2 nets

a gravel vac

algae scraper

a very large container of carbon that is half full

4 filter trays worth of bio media (50% old and 50% new in bags)

On a whim I decided to buy it and I paid the guy 300. The same tank/stand kit with heater and a canister filter retails for $900 - $1200 depending on where you buy it and doesn't come with the extra decorations etc. I know the filters themselves are between 200-250 new retail.

Problems with the tank:

1) When I got there the guy told me that the impellers in the filters were making some bad noises so I would need to replace them. When I got home filled and plugged em in and I recognized the noise from one as being an air bubble stuck in the impeller chamber so I shook it a bit and now no issues with that one. The other was making pretty harsh noise but turns out it was just the impeller cover had snapped one of the tabs so it was coming loose causing the impeller to spin wildly. Tried the cover from the other filter and no noise. A new cover will take care of that and replacing a few missing pieces like hoses and uptake tubes will gain me 2 perfectly operational canister filters.

2) Guy must have had a massive outbreak of algae, the back and sides of the tank was covered in spots of algae, the driftwood and lava rocks were basically coated green. I have since scrubbed these down and they are clean.

3) The stand which is that cheap particle board stuff is slightly water damaged on the front 1-1 1/2 " of the uprights but seems to be pretty solid with the full tank on top.

4) There is one really long scratch on the inside front pane mid way up that will probably annoy me eventually as well 2 big ones along the underside of the tank. Looks like there might have been sand between it and the stand and he dragged it about 6 inches or so and it left a nice gouge in the surface of stand and tank. Any idea if this might compromise the integrity of the glass? I have it sitting in my garage for the last 3 days filled with water and there are no leaks detectable.

5) because the tank was dirty and had lots of dried water marks on the glass when I went to view it, I didnt see these until I got it home and cleaned up. There are lots of scratches about 4" up from the bottom along the entire circumference of the tank and some minor scratches in various spots above. I think the majority of these will be covered by substrate. Hopefully they wont be too noticeable.

6) canopy is missing one of the plastic reflectors for the light... considering spray painting the inside white but not sure.

I feel like I got a decent deal but curious of any opinions about my purchase? Did I get a good deal?

PS Anyone know if scratches can be buffed out?

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

Nice steal!! And yes, this is exactly how MTS starts! LOL

Just wait until Sunday, when the auction viewing starts, you're going to have lots of ideas of how to fill that tank!

I seem to remember a previous post in the DIY section where someone did actually buff out the scratches on their tank WHILE the fish were still in it...so if you don't fill it first with fish...it should be super easy!

the scratches are definitely worse along the back lower edge just because of sheer number of scratches. The front has a couple along the lower portion of the glass but the stand out portion is the long scratch about midway up. This one is roughly 3 inches long and is actually 3 scratches stacked above one another. Unfortunately that is the best face so it would be cool if I could buff them out.

I already have an idea about getting a couple pairs of Bolivian Rams. They look pretty cool and I just have to find a source. I am almost afraid of going to the auction and finding that I could stock the entire tank with purchases from there. This impulse buy was bad enough but buying lots of fish would be worse since I dont have the tank set up properly yet, decorated and not to mention cycled. I did however hook up one of the new canister filters and swapped out a tray of bio media from my current canister and put it in there just in case :P I am also thinking of painting the back pane of glass using either some latex paint rolled on or using the Krylon spray paint. Also have to figure out how to rearrange my little fish room so this sucker will fit so probably best if I dont buy fish (or too many) yet until everything is up and ready.