Substitute for Hikari?

DiscusKeeper403

Hey all,

I heard that soon Hikari will not be supplying to Canada anymore. I don't really like San Franciso, I was feeding some of the fish SF bloodworms at work, found a few odd looking black worms in their and the worms themselves didn't look as high quality. What is everyone else doing for frozen foods, and is their any other substitutes to SF?

Thanks,

Connor

Omega One has a line of frozen foods, including blood worms. I can't comment on the quality as I have never used them, but they have a wide assortment.

As far as Hikari, I doubt that it will not be a permanent situation. The recent fiasco is due to the new CFIA regulations in Canada with regards to importing pet food.

Omega One has a line of frozen foods, including blood worms. I can't comment on the quality as I have never used them, but they have a wide assortment.

As far as Hikari, I doubt that it will not be a permanent situation. The recent fiasco is due to the new CFIA regulations in Canada with regards to importing pet food.

I'm glad you feel this way. Any ideas where I can find the Omega One frozen food?

I can't recall the exact brand name, but petsmart sells it and it's a multi pack that has 4 different 'flavours'. i've been feeding this brand for at least a few months and like it, it seems to be good quality, and the fish gobble it up.

Thanks for the info. I don't visit Petsmart too often but I will keep my eye out for the brand!!

How a bout frozen brine shrimp?

• 2 weeks later...

It is true that Hikari is pulling out of Canada due to the increased red tape involved in getting the proper permits.

The San Francisco Bay Brand frozen food, in my opinion, is better quality and better value for your $. I'm sure your LFS can get this brand easily on a weekly basis.

It is true that Hikari is pulling out of Canada due to the increased red tape involved in getting the proper permits.

The San Francisco Bay Brand frozen food, in my opinion, is better quality and better value for your $. I'm sure your LFS can get this brand easily on a weekly basis.

Yes.

SFB is terrible quality IMO. I have found leeches in the blood worms before, and not to mention other weird worms. Plus their blood worms themselves for instance, look odd to me, very short and fat. I much prefer Hikari for quality, on top of this they have a three step sterilization process to kill any parasites/bacteria off. I use their glass worms and they seem fine, but I definitley wouldn't want to use their blood worms.

Edited by DiscusLova