Dead Tetras

Greg Glenn

I have had my 10 galon tank for about two weeks. It is populated by 1 Betta, 1 Pleco, and some tetras. I bought 4 neon tetras to start with. After 3 days one died. All seemed well then 2 days later another died. I bought 3 more neons giving me 5 then two days later another one died. This morning I found another one dead. I can't figure out why they die one by one and days apart. Why not all together and then I know something is really wrong. I have watched carefully and the last one wasn't eating well the two days before it died. It was a little listless also. Those were signs I understood but why only one at a time and days apart. I could really use any suggestions you may have.

The Betta and Pleco seem to be alright. the Betta eats like a pig and the Pleco heads for his rock whenever I enter the room.

Regards,

Did you do a fishless cycle first? You have a high bio load for an uncycled tank if you didn't cycle first. Your betta could also be beating up your tetras.

If you have a test kit test you paramiters and post those as well.

If the tank has been running for only two weeks, my opinion is that your tetras are being hit by a mid-cycle nitrite spike. The neons I've kept have never really been the most hardy fish, especially in a new tank. Even when I have a new tank starting its cycle, my pleco's and labyrinth-fish (like your betta) seem to do fine through the process of maturing the water in a regular cycle. Two weeks ago, did you put water in, start the filter and put all the fish in together? If so, I would pick up some cycling liquid, or bacteria-boost. I've always noticed a spike in either my ammonia or nitrite right before an outbreak of parasites or disease. In short, when faced with a similar dilemma, I've given my small tanks shots of Cycle daily, dropped an airstone in for aeration, and held off on water changes until I knew the cycle had run its first course (ie 3 weeks min). Good luck!

From what you have posted, your tank is too young for neons and cardinals and is not completely cycled. Your betta could also be puting the run on them stressing them out. It don't take much to stress a neon or cardinal (years ago they used to say that if you walked by the tank and looked at them the wrong way they would die on you). Like rams they do best in a well established tank with a slightly lower ph. I have mine in a 6 year old planted tank with a ph of 5.5 to 6.0 and do weekly water changes of 50%. I run a small bag of peat in one filter and 5-6 almond leaves in the other as well as a few other old school (very old school) secrets.