Blood perrots bred

Qattarra

I picked up those two blood perrots from MOP. After their QT period I moved them to my community tank (malekrib., loaches, plattys, couple of blue firemouths,severums.etc), I know odd mixes lol . Well these two picked out and claimed a cave. Low and behold they've laid eggs. I don't expect fry but who knows, weirder things have happened. BTW, my daughter named them Spike and Gizmo.

ugh i cant believe you guys got a female out of them! ....

they wont hatch though, the male has a 98% chance of being infertile.......could try with another type of male tho but youde have to get rid of the one she has paired up with... or sell the female back to me :P

cheers

A hybrid is a hybrid weather it be man made or natural, there is allways a chance of having fry.

The question here is, will they survive. I was told that I would never successfully breed flowerhorns, and I had more fry than I could shake a stick at. Wait and see what happens Sue.

A hybrid is a hybrid weather it be man made or natural, there is allways a chance of having fry.

The question here is, will they survive. I was told that I would never successfully breed flowerhorns, and I had more fry than I could shake a stick at. Wait and see what happens Sue.

Blood parrots are chemically sterilized at the breeding farm before being sent out to protect the investment, and their origins are still a mystery despite a lot of suggestions as to what they may be it is a secret kept by their breeders, thats why such a high percentage are sterile. Hybridization as well plays a role in lowering the chances of the fish being sterile (i.e. flowerhorn) but not nearly to the same amount. Many flowerhorns are actually fertile (unlike male blood parrots) , except the flowerhorns that are from the larger breeding farms that are also often sterilized for the exact same reason, to control the market. there IS a chance of course that they will produce fry, and its not entirely unheard of, but BP male sterility is in the high 90's....your chances would be greater with breeding it to another male of another species such as a flowerhorn or texas cichlid.

I have no interest in them for myself , my daughter wanted them . They are cute little things though lol . I'm by no means a purist, I do however generally keep non hybrids ( at least not known to me). I don't really care that much about the issue, I simply would prefer closer to wild type fish. And yes I do like my big nasties and I'm aware I really don't know if some of those are "hybrids", don't care lol .

It's a shame that fish would be chemically treated, I suppose they are a "product" for market, it's business.