how long do tanks last?

johnsmith

I'm looking into buying a used tank at a good price, but it's around 7yrs old. Is that a little too old? If I got it, should I reseal it with silicone just to be safe?

Is there anything else other than the silicone seals to worry about when buying an older used tank? It's currently set up with fish in it but I haven't seen it yet. I'm stopping by shortly to have a lot (~ 2:00, apr. 18) so hopefully any issues will be obvious.

Apparently is ~ 50g. I'll have to see when I get there.

Also, even if you read this after 2pm I'm still interested in input b/c being a cautious buyer I'll probably wait till I hear something from here b/f I go ahead and get it - if he'll hold on to it for a day.

Edited by johnsmith

I picked up a home made all glass aquarium in the mid seventies, stuck it in my unheated attic in the early eighties and pulled it out two years ago and fired it up. No leaks!

My grandparent's old stainless steel tank (bought in the late fifties or early sixties sat at their house, then my aunt's house and then in my attic (for 10 plus years) and the putty on it didn't leak when I fired it up.

Most of them have a very long life span if looked after (ie don't twist the frame when moving them).

I would seal it with silicone if it's an old putty tank just to make sure. Also make sure you buy the right type of silicone (aquarium safe - on the label).

I asked G.E. one day how long silicone lasts. They said 15 years as a sealant and 10 years structurally. I know many have had tanks for longer than that with no issues, however if the tank is large enough to do damage then I would not trust it much longer than 10 years without some resiliconing.

Well, I'll still be looking for a used 50g tank so it's good to know I don't have to worry about the age of the tank. Unfortunately this tank was too nasty looking. The hood was half apart and it was crusty everywhere. Other than that it was probably in good condition since it has probably never moved in 6 years.

Thanks anyway

Edited by johnsmith