Rena XP2 & X3 Air gap, water filled top, and air noises

T Dawg

Both my Rena XP2 and XP3 have had about a 1” air gap at the top since they were new. They are now 8 months old. The tops are also full of water each time I go to clean the filters and need to be drained. Both seem to not be ideal, but normal for many users.

One has always been noticeably louder than the other, and based on reading this seams common given they have different impeller shaft types. Both have gotten louder over the past few months.

For the past few weeks or so the XP2 has been expelling air every 15-45 minutes but I cannot find the source. Last time this happened I had an air stone too close to the pickup. I guess this means one of the seals could be in need of replacement. If I read the troubleshooting document correctly it would be the main seal I am replacing, but it seems to be in good shape, matching the other unit. Any tips on finding out which seal needs replacing or should I just replace all of them?

Any comments, pointers, ortips on any of these other items?

Are your baskets in right,... I didn't get mine in flat once and the filter was sucking air through the main seal, it was noisy and burping air every 10/20 seconds out of the spraybar, pulled the top off, realigned the baskets with a little shake and all was good after that.

I found that the o-ring that goes between the top and the canister on 1 of my XP3 filters was broken and it would suck in a little of air causing it to spit out air every so often. Also when you prime your filters you need to make sure there is no water in the discharge hose or it will not let out all of the air from the canister.

Are your baskets in right,... I didn't get mine in flat once and the filter was sucking air through the main seal, it was noisy and burping air every 10/20 seconds out of the spraybar, pulled the top off, realigned the baskets with a little shake and all was good after that.

The baskets do seem to be seating and fitting together well. The media trays are not overly full and they sit nice and flat.

I found that the o-ring that goes between the top and the canister on 1 of my XP3 filters was broken and it would suck in a little of air causing it to spit out air every so often. Also when you prime your filters you need to make sure there is no water in the discharge hose or it will not let out all of the air from the canister.

I see two o-rings you may be referring to. There is the outer continuous square gasket. It seems pliable and unbroken, as I do not have a spare I have not tried to remove or do to much with it, just a wipe. There is an inner circle that has a single gasket made from a price of rubber looped to meet up with itself in a circle but not contiguous. I removed this, rolled it in my fingers looking for hard spots or hard water build ups, then installed it inverted.

I did find the impeller shaft bearings seemed swollen and the shaft was no longer smooth.

Since when I take the lid off and turn the top upside down water does come out around the electrical plug I am guessing I shuold look for new seals for that area.

I took some pictures, butthe S.O. "put away" the card reader so I so not know where it is.

How can it be put away if it has never been put there before.

Edited by T Dawg

I see two o-rings you may be referring to. There is the outer continuous square gasket. It seems pliable and unbroken, as I do not have a spare I have not tried to remove or do to much with it, just a wipe. There is an inner circle that has a single gasket made from a price of rubber looped to meet up with itself in a circle but not contiguous. I removed this, rolled it in my fingers looking for hard spots or hard water build ups, then installed it inverted.

I did find the impeller shaft bearings seemed swollen and the shaft was no longer smooth.

Since when I take the lid off and turn the top upside down water does come out around the electrical plug I am guessing I shuold look for new seals for that area.

I took some pictures, butthe S.O. "put away" the card reader so I so not know where it is.

How can it be put away if it has never been put there before.

Your water problem in the lid is due to the o-rings on your quick disconnect. I had the same problem, changed the rings and all was good.

http://rena-aquatics-outlet.planetrena.com...tlet-Parts.html

Scroll down to the quick disconnect o-rings description and it will explain it there.

Edited by sherlock98

Your water problem in the lid is due to the o-rings on your quick disconnect. I had the same problem, changed the rings and all was good.

Scroll down to the quick disconnect o-rings description and it will explain it there.

I'll need to hit another LFS for parts, the one I went to did not have the parts I waslooking for.

There has been water in the lid from day one, but could that contribute to the current air issue?

I'll need to hit another LFS for parts, the one I went to did not have the parts I waslooking for.

There has been water in the lid from day one, but could that contribute to the current air issue?

Come to think of it I had a Rena do the same thing, but I took the valve body to Canadian Tire and got O-rings from the autoparts section. And yes it could draw air through the intake side as well.

Come to think of it I had a Rena do the same thing, but I took the valve body to Canadian Tire and got O-rings from the autoparts section. And yes it could draw air through the intake side as well.

I think the top having water but noleaking durringoperation became clear when I took thescrews out. When I use thequickdisconnect there is water betwen the valves aboveteh top of the filter that sort of squirts when unplug the tubes.I think this could be the source of the water in the top but I am not sure.

The pumpis now very noisy (louder than the airpump) so I may need to replace the impeller shaft and bearings, and at that price for not lasting a year I may just limp until boxing week or a US trip and replace it.

I took hoses off, recut the ends, re-re-rechecked the in-tank fittings, and examined all the rubber with no succes. I might try swapping the rubber between units again depending how I feel tommoerow...