My 20gal b4 i redo the gravel..

BettaBeats

this was my first attempt at an aquascapish layout. i found a great piece of driftwood and rocks that suit my style.

unfortunately i have to change out the substrate this week to lower my hardness and ph. also, maybe my plants will stay put more easily!!

any tips about planting my foreground? i have some nice crypts but thats about it.. the mosses havent grown much

5300562.jpg higher qual pic - http://img2.purerave.com/5/62/5300562_.jpg

new 20 gal H

besides needing to swap the gravel, i like the set up of this tank

fauna:

11 harlequin rasboras

4 zebra danios

1 female swordtail

1 female gold gouramis

1 kuhli loach (will def get two more this week after the substrate is changed.)

flora:

cabomba

java fern

vallisneria spiralis (although this did not enjoy the move at all..)

Giant Vallisneria

Mayaca Fluviatilis (my new favourite plant)

Lagarosiphon Major

Medium sized sword

various crypts which i will name at a later date

ludwigia repens (didnt get enough light in the 10gal so its a little pale in the reds atm)

java moss

and another moss that is extremely thin, whispy and fiberous..

and a green grass w/ a white stripe down the middle.. forget its name

Coralife 2x24" 14w 6,400k and full spectrum

AquaClear 30

w/ DIY CO2 in a 4L jug. had pearls b4 the new plants moved in.

Must... Add... More... Plants... :thumbs:

I really like Mayaca fluviatilis too. It's a great indicator plant, especially for low iron (the new growth will turn pale.)

I can't spot your green and white striped grass, but it sounds like a common non-aquatic species.

Lots of shoots on that ludwigia! You'll have tons of that in no time.

You could try some chain sword or dwarf sagittaria for the foreground- the leaf shapes will contrast nicely with the other plants. I think a bit of open space looks nice too, though.

Play sand or any other kind of sand (black sand) and as well as fluorite won't change the water pH. Once the substrate is changed then the pH will stay stable.. won't rise... If you want to lower the pH, then peat filtering is one method. Adding CO2 to the tank will also lower pH.

Basically... from what I understand... and I am a noob~ish aquarist..

is that my pacific GeoSystem gravel is made of crushed shells and other high-in-calcium things.. but a lot of sea shells.

So when the water comes in contact w/ the shells calcium bicarbonate is released into the water raising the GH/KH and thus my pH.

Because it constantly leeches into the water the only reasonable solution is to redo the entire tank :(

While it is good for buffering and a stable pH, it is far far too high for some/all of my animals. I've also noticed that my plants havent been doing as well. its a smaller stone size than regular gravel, and also its lighter than reg. gravel which has allowed some of my plants to uproot themselves.

although it LOOKS GREAT... it isnt really practical. I also want to get enough substrate so i can remove the under-gravel filter crate which i now use to give me 3/4" height difference on that side. With my Kuhli loaches and stories of them burrowing under the gravel in these filter crate i want to remove this 'hazard'

I'm not sure i will like the change to a darker substrate,

Edited by BettaBeats

I can see your point werner.

I'm going w/ a white/black mix w/ laterite. and this time I'm going to plant without water in my tank! lol, I think it will be so much easier.

Also,

I have a nutrient deficiency.. the tips of my crypts and java fern are yellowing and pale. my ludwigia repens i was happy was red again, is now pink.. (was far more red last night htan tonight)

I'm thinking potassium and nitrogen..

would a new substrate help this? or will I still have these problems..