Stinky Tank

Beermaster

Greets all, i resealed a leaky tank that i had, stripped all the silicone out and redid it all

now i have water tested the tank and all is well, but still after 2 weeks it still stinks like silicone

Is it safe to use yet or is there somthing that i missed?

I have cleaned it angain and again, just at a loss now

thanx

Edited by Beermaster

Hey Mark,

Is the silicone firm/cured? It should be as hard as any of your other tanks by now. If it feels soft, I would guess that you have a tube of bad silicone. I have had it happen to me in the past, but never on an aquarium.

Don't know of any way to test the water for traces of silicone in it. Got some cheap feeders there? Sounds crappy, but not sure what else to suggest

Throw a fan in there for the day. I would not fill it until the smell is gone completely.

Not because of danger of fish dying, but for the fear that it may be not cured completely .

Beermaster:

In most cases, you can use the tank after 48 hours.The silicone has "cured/solidified"!

I have had tanks "oxide" for months on end. The tanks were just sitting in a room.

The odour is not toxic to the fish. Just off-gassing!

Depending on which Brand of silicone you have used. and which product of each manfufacture.

e.g DOW CORNING's 732 as oppossed to GE SILICONES CONSTRUCTION 1200 SERIES SEALANT.

HOWEVER - make sure the silicone has completely cured. Pressing on the "NEW" siicone will tell you if it has solidified. Rarely, a batch of silicone will go bad; BUT NOT UNHEARD OFF. All have a limited usefull lifespan. ALWAYS CHECK THE DATE ON EACH CONTAINER!!

IF - the silicone has completely cured: carbon will removed any "nose ordor".

Smokey

B)