Raising PH

geleen

I think that you will have better success achieving a specific pH if you add baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to your water when doing your water changes.

I assume that you have a pH test kit. A little playing around with baking soda and your tap water and you should be able to find a consistent formula to achieve the pH you want.

The more surface area the better, if used as substrate the stuff on the bottom were no water circulates doesn't help. I used to put some in the toe of a Nylon stocking and then in a filter.

I had aragonite in my shelldweller tank and it was a consistant 8.4. My sand was constantly being turned though, my Multies were bulldozers in disguise... :rolleyes:

Edited by Crystal

John,

If you add a media bag full of crushed oyster shell (in your filters) to a tank with a pH of 7.6, it should raise your pH to approx 8.3, as well as stabilize the KH between water changes to prevent any potential swings in pH. With regards to pH, I don't believe it matters how much you add, it won't raise your pH beyond 8.3 (give or take) , but larger quantities will raise your carbonate hardness. Baking soda will give you similar results, with an approx maximum pH of 8.3 Personally I prefer the crushed oyster shell method as there is no need to mix & add anything during or after water changes. When adding baking soda/epsom salts/marine salts directly to the tank water, it can take several hours for ionic balance to take place. For most species of fish, probably not a big deal either way.

HTH