Fungus / Bacteria? Treatment questions

Jewel

Having been both careful, with a bit of luck I have never had a disease issue before! I feel like a dolt today and reading through the forum issues I am still questioning what is best.

I purchased a couple of newbies whom appeared healthy at the time. These fish went into quarantine and later proved to be un healthy. These fish first had mouth fungus (?)over night then developed a cloud over their eyes along with red body sores.

Both appeared to have a bacteria and fungus combination so upon their passing, they were returned for credit where I spoke to the store manager and asked what issues they were having. Now go figure, not a lot of help there! I was told they were treating for both bacteria and fungus with a Pimafix and Melafix combination.

So here is where it gets stupid on my part.... I accidentally cross contaminated the tanks with a net I had neglected to steralize. That being said, I now have this issue in my main tank. Being this has spread exceptionally fast, I want to do everything I can. So far I have been treating with the stores recommended Pimafix and Melafix combination for 3 days. The disease has moved from mouths to eyes this morning and I really want to try to avoid loosing any of my fish. So far they are all alert and eating well still, they just look terrible! I have been trying to get decent pics but so far have only one.

I have done 25% water changes, added stress coat for good measure and increased the salt content gradually.

Does any one have any information or tips for me? Iwould really appreciate the help. :unsure: Also, how do you properly decontaminate the tank when the issue has been taken care of?

Melafix is an anti bacterial treatment and have found it highly effective. However if I was in your shoes(tanks,etc.), I would try an antifungal medication too. Others may have more opinions as to what's an effective antifungal medication. I have been fortunate enough that I only use antifungals for hatching eggs. Can anybody help this person out??

Melafix is an anti bacterial treatment and have found it highly effective. However if I was in your shoes(tanks,etc.), I would try an antifungal medication too. Others may have more opinions as to what's an effective antifungal medication. I have been fortunate enough that I only use antifungals for hatching eggs. Can anybody help this person out??

Isn't Pimafix for fungus?? I have been using a combo of Melafix & Pimafix.

Thank you all for the imput. All we can do now is wait and see. Does any one have info for the de-tox for the tank materials and filter? If this gets under control I don't want to mess anything else up! :wacko:

If you run the salt and or maroxy /both you wont have to worry about detox althought some extra charcole would help after youre done treating As well as water changes. :thumbs:

Edited by Kraken

\ :tongue: Lost 2 over night. I checked all of the levels this morning, and the ammonia levels are actually detectable today. What is the best product to use with the current treatments that will not interphere? I think I will do a 10% change tonight and hope for better tomorrow morning. Any input?