The kids first fishing trip

Oxquo

Probably the coldest and rainiest day of the year, these kids spent 10 glorious soaking wet hours for two stinking fish. Ahh the joys!!! The expression on their faces was like"hey, let's kill the old man and go home..." Well neither of them got skunked but felt that it wasn't even worth going for the mini peanut butter ritz crackers. As much as they love getting out and going for walks, not an ear perks up when I say" hey guys, wanna go fishing?" lol.

post-34-1087332647

Here is Chester kissing his first walleye goodbye and wishing him a farewell. I suppose a nice sunny day will redeem their feelings of the sport one day. I hope to take the little guy out on the pontoon boat this Summer fishing, I think that will make him love the sport as much as me, or maybe not, some kids just want to stay home and play Xbox.

post-34-1087332848

Around the 14" mark, very chubby walleye. According to the looks of the photo though he'd be two feet wide, or the width of two feet,lol . Not a bad fish though considering that fishing at the beginning of a cold snap is always bad. Very light bites too. The bigger dog, Diesel is very dog aggressive and we happen to luckily end up in an off leash park, I spent most of the day using my fishing rod to keep dogs away from him. Ahhh the joys... We use to think he was a stunted English mastiff which is what we bought him as but recently he was described by the Canadian Mastiff Association as a Fila brasilliero which is a mastiff but a more evil Mastiff from brazillian regions. This explains his hatred for dogs. Anyways, I am sure fishing will pick up and can't wait to get out there this weekend when the warm front has moved in. The North Saskatchewan is still and always will be our best local fishery, atleast for a C&R person like me. After we finished up fishing we went to sobey's and bought some nice halibut to deep fry on the barbeque, now that's fishing I tell ya.....

a Fila brasilliero which is a mastiff but a more evil Mastiff from brazillian regions.

Indeed....and puts him on every insurance company's black list of breeds, as well as the banned list in quite a few cities/counties.....a risky pet in Edmonton, which already has some stupid laws defining 'dangerous breeds'.

My mother has a Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff) pup....at just seven months he weighed in yesterday at 105lbs (on his way to about 180).

Actually there are absolutely NO mastiff breeds on the banned list. The only banned breed in this Country to date is the Pit Bull which has increasingly dropped the amount of dog attacks in Winnipeg alone from 25 to 1 per year. Sadly, in Edmonton the number one and two most popular attack dogs are German shepard and cocker spaniels with retrievers in 4th this is mostly due to the focussed population of the dogs.

In fact alberta only has a pitbull legislation which means an insurance is needed. strangely this doesn't yet include staffies or bull terriers which makes no sense as a pitbull is not a true breed but a statement about a dog's condition otherwise there would be a pitbull class in the CKC and AKC.

Quebec is the only province that has a mastiff legislation which is funny seeing that the English Mastiff is the World's gentle giant.

Ontario opted not to ban specific breeds but ban specific breed behaviour or atleast punish it better since the bull mastiff attack which killed a young girl. Truth be known, you could count the amount of mastiff breed attacks in Canada on one hand. I say in that case let's start with poodles and cocker spaniels as they are the most likely candidates to bite. Or better yet, stand up and fight the breed specific laws all together.

banned dogs breeds in Canada

I would think a large Dogue de Bordeaux would be in the 150 lb range 180 would be extremely overweight and unhealthy, an average good weight on a Dogue de Bordeaux would be between 110lbs and 140lbs. 180 would be very suitable for an english mastiff male though.

Actually there are absolutely NO mastiff breeds on the banned list. The only banned breed in this Country to date is the Pit Bull

I would think a large Dogue de Bordeaux would be in the 150 lb range 180 would be extremely overweight and unhealthy,

Not in Edmonton, but, for instance, rottweilers are banned in the Rocky Mountain MD. The mastiff blacklist I was referring to is amongst insurance companies in the USA, and may be adopted by companies here in the very near future. Calgary has had several attempts to create retrictions on certain breeds municipally, and Edmonton's restrictions are on non-purebred & registered Staffordshires only.

My mother's Bordeaux is an unusually large specimen.

In time if we let them they will ban all dog species or atleast all they fear. In order to ban pits they would have to ban terriers and bulldogs altogether, I have already read reports on banning all bull breeds in Canada. Of course this was just a proposal. Should it pass we would need $500,000 coverage on even our boston terrier which is in fact a pitbull "a bulldog crossed with a terrier", even though it is true that via a different mix of bulldog and terrier from which the boston was formed it was in fact the first american pit fighting bulldog. My beef is that it is now AKC and CKC as it's own breed losing rights to the pitbull terrier name or should is more like it. I like the old rule in Germany, If your dog's shoulder is above knee then it must wear a sweater in public. The studies there have proved well and dogs wearing sweaters feel insecure enough that dog/dog and dog/human violence has been slashed drastically. Maybe instead of banning dogs we should have to write extensive dog owner tests to own a dog. Most violent dogs stems from violent upbringing or lack of training. I'll bet fewer people would keep dogs if there were a test. Hopefully one day that would go for having children as well. Ah I should have been in politics,lol.

I love this bit in the Edmonton bylaws:

(o) “Restricted Dog” means any dog:

(i) certified by a veterinarian licensed to practice veterinary medicine in Alberta to be primarily of the breed Staffordshire Bull Terrier as that breed is defined by the Canadian Kennel Club;

(ii) certified by a veterinarian licensed to practice veterinary medicine in Alberta to be primarily of the breed American Staffordshire Terrier as that breed is defined by the Canadian Kennel Club;

but does not include a dog:

(vii) registered, or eligible for registration, with the Canadian Kennel Club as a purebred Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier.

15 The Owner of a Restricted Dog shall have liability insurance specifically covering any damages for personal injury caused by the Restricted Dog in an amount not less than one million dollars.

16 The Owner or any other person having care or control of a Restricted Dog shall, at all times when it is off the property of the Owner, have it:

(a) under control;

(B) muzzled; and

© held on a leash not exceeding two metres in length.

17 The Owner or any other person having care or control of a Restricted Dog shall, at all times when it is on the property of the Owner, have it:

(a) indoors;

(B) outdoors, secured in a fully enclosed pen; or

© outdoors, muzzled and secured by a chain fixed to the property that prevents the Restricted Dog from coming closer than two metres to the apparent boundary of the property.

Interesting how only non-registered pitbulls are dangerous.