Have You Added Salt For Minnows, Tetras, Balloon Mollies?

My3KidsDad

So aquarium/sea/kosher salt WILL make a tank brackish in the right amounts? But it's better to use marine?

Sorry, just want to clarify for sure :)

That is correct. If you were doing Fish Only, you could probably get away with using kosher/sea salt for SW as well. AFIK, it's the inverst that require all of the extra minerals in marine salt.

BTW, by marine salt I mean artificial sea salt - stuff that has been engineered specifically for SW aquariums.

Ah, cool good to know. More knowledge for my SW tank in the distant future.

Thanks.

So aquarium/sea/kosher salt WILL make a tank brackish in the right amounts? But it's better to use marine?

Sorry, just want to clarify for sure :)

That is correct. If you were doing Fish Only, you could probably get away with using kosher/sea salt for SW as well. AFIK, it's the inverst that require all of the extra minerals in marine salt.

BTW, by marine salt I mean artificial sea salt - stuff that has been engineered specifically for SW aquariums.

Ah, cool good to know. More knowledge for my SW tank in the distant future.

Thanks.

If you do try it, I'd start w. some cheap, hardy fish first. You could have a hard enough time with most marine fish, anyway!

• 1 year later...

I use salt in my Guppy, tetra, white cloud tank I add a small amount of salt with every water change, mine are in a 30 gal tank and I might add a tablespoon of salt every time, just enough to say I added salt, and they all seem to do really well with this....Ive had the tetras and white cloud for about a year now and the guppies almost as long they are extremely prolefic....LOL

Hi, my name is Merlin the Magician but I need someone to wave their wand over my bloated white cloud minnow. I thought it was pregnant but it looks like it's going to burst any day now. I bought some epsom salts and wondered if I should add it? Also, I treated some frozen shrimp with metazone (sp?).... and fed them tonight with it. Is it too late?:(