Lighting from hydroponic shops

Vallisneria

I"m just wondering because my friends bought their first aquarium yesterday but I talked them out of buying the expensive PC lighting fixtures the Big als guy was trying to sell them(300+$) and told them they can get cheaper lights at the hydroponics store. But I've never actually bought or seen the lights at the hydroponics store.

So I wanted to know if they are fully functioning, nice(enough) looking fixtures that sit on the glass hood or if they will have to build light boxes or a hood for them.

They aren't looking for anything too high tech. They just want something to be able to have 2 watt/gal over their new 38g(36")tank. Basically they want a planted tank like mine but cheap, lol.

I've been a long time user of the hydroponics light.. so.. just my 2 cents. one light is about $50. 4 lights which I run is about $200. For your $300 light you probably get a reflector, fans, a nice mount, as well as sealed from water. I might also add that if you don't seal your t5's they could die (2 of mine just went). I also had an issue laying mine right on top of my glass(the glass cracked).

I've been a long time user of the hydroponics light.. so.. just my 2 cents. one light is about $50. 4 lights which I run is about $200. For your $300 light you probably get a reflector, fans, a nice mount, as well as sealed from water. I might also add that if you don't seal your t5's they could die (2 of mine just went). I also had an issue laying mine right on top of my glass(the glass cracked).

So how much would 2 double bulb 36" T5s approximately cost?

What do you mean seal your T5s?

don't recall the cost of the 36". You'll have to phone all seasons garden center and ask. Mine are the sunblasters(they have a second type). To seal them you simply take out the tombstones(end of the light where the bulb plugs into) and then silicone it to the solid metal piece. That way no condensation can get inside.