Eheim 2217 Setup

Shai

I just got myself an Eheim 2217. Yay!

Before I bought it I knew the instructions would be less than stellar. I've been looking at the tips on Rex Grigg's site and there are just a few things I'm still confused about (too bad he didn't post pictures)...

1. The spray bar is supposed to connect to a hard plastic 90-degree corner tube. In the manual they show a small connector (see image below) but that piece wasn't included with my canister. Am I supposed to cut a section of tube? Assembling this part doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere that I can find.

spraybar.gif

2. Rex's site says,

Next, connect your double tap connectors to the hose pieces you just attached so that the valve handles point in different directions (one pointing up and one down). In the future, this will allow you easily reconnect the right hose to the right valve after you have disconnected it.

Does he mean that one set of valves on one hose should point up, and one set of valves on the other hose should point down? Does it matter which one points in which direction?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Shai

1. The spray bar is supposed to connect to a hard plastic 90-degree corner tube. In the manual they show a small connector (see image below) but that piece wasn't included with my canister. Am I supposed to cut a section of tube? Assembling this part doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere that I can find.

spraybar.gif

You just cut a small piece of tubing. That way you can make it as long or short as you want.

2. Rex's site says,
Next, connect your double tap connectors to the hose pieces you just attached so that the valve handles point in different directions (one pointing up and one down). In the future, this will allow you easily reconnect the right hose to the right valve after you have disconnected it.

Does he mean that one set of valves on one hose should point up, and one set of valves on the other hose should point down? Does it matter which one points in which direction?

I never find the double tap connectors an issue to figure out because they are on different size tubing on the 2217, correct? I put them both near the canister so that it is easier for me to disconnect.

I think he means you put the male and female ends for each connector in different alignment. For example, on the intake hose the double tap connector half with the male connector will be on the side of the hose that attaches directly to the canister whereas the female connector half will be on the part of the intake house that does not directly connect to the canister. On the output hose, the connector half with the female connector will be on the part of the hose that directly attaches to the top of the canister. The male part will be on the piece of hose that goes directly to the spray bar. To be honest, I don't think it makes any difference.

Good pick up. Classics rock!

Thanks for your help! I set up the canister this afternoon and everything went smoothly. I wonder why people say these things are hard to prime? I had no trouble. : )

For now it's still sitting in a bucket in case something goes wrong with the connections, and later on I need to trim the spray bar down so it will fit the width of my tank, but otherwise I'm really pleased. I shut off my existing filters to see just how quiet this filter is and was impressed that it really is as quiet as everyone said it would be.

How long should I leave my other filters running in tandem with this one (for bacteria to establish in the Eheim)? I did squeeze some mulm into the canister before starting it up and also squashed in two sponges from one of my filters (I have three AC70s running). Do you suppose four weeks would be long enough? I'm looking forward to no more waterfall noise!

How long should I leave my other filters running in tandem with this one (for bacteria to establish in the Eheim)? I did squeeze some mulm into the canister before starting it up and also squashed in two sponges from one of my filters (I have three AC70s running). Do you suppose four weeks would be long enough? I'm looking forward to no more waterfall noise!

I would remove one of the HOB every 2 weeks:that should do it.

John