Lighting.

strayner

So, being new to the hobby (and also mis-informed and naive) I've purchased a 29 gallon tank kit. The kit only has a hood suitable for one 20 watt flourescent light fixture for the whole 29 gallons, so basically 0.69 watts per gallon (which I understand now is very low). Until i'm able to buy a power compact strip hood or something else, am I basically screwed for having a planted tank? Even for the low light species? Is there anything I can do to patch the situation until I get suitable lighting? thanks.

Also, if the hood can only support 20 watt bulbs, does this mean that the bulb has to have 20 watts actual light output or are there lights that would fit (24'') with 20 watts but higher actual light production? thanks.

I wouldn't say screwed. I would for sure try some of the low light plants and see how they do. They might not go crazy but will grow. I have pretty low light in my 55, I'll have to double check the actual bulbs, and things are doing ok. Slowly coming along. I also add excel to the tanks which I found helps even in the low light tank.

You should be fine for growing low light plants with the lighting you have. My wife has a 55gal tank in the store/office that only has 2 x 15 watt bulbs=0.54 watts per gal and I have put crypts, anubias, bacopa, staurogyne sp. and echinodorus quadricostatus in the tank about 3 months ago and everything is doing fine and growing. The tank also gets a couple hours of direct sunlight each day. If you want to grow med to high light plants, you will have to upgrade your lighting to at least 3 watts per gal or more and possibly add Co2. Before I got my Co2 I grew pretty much anything in a 72 gal with 3 watts per gal of light and good old fish crap. Now I still have 3 watts per gal of light, pressurised Co2, dry ferts and a pretty healthy fish load. I'm trimming stem plants every 3 to 5 days and the others get a trimming every 4 to 6 weeks. Good luck with your adventure, and keep us posted on the progress.

Thanks guys. Anyone have ideas how i might be able to get some more light without going to big lengths?

Also, what are retrofit kits? do they allow you to replace the lighting in your hood?

Edited by strayner

Thanks guys. Anyone have ideas how i might be able to get some more light without going to big lengths?

Also, what are retrofit kits? do they allow you to replace the lighting in your hood?

you just get a glass top or tops for your aquarium and then put a t5ho or power compact on top and whammo....way more light....or just get the glass tops for your tank and then get some more regular fluorescent fixtures (which are cheap and many ppl have extras from upgrading themselves) and put them on top ,