Looking for advice, Bettas' Fins are being torn up

d0hb0y

Hey all,

Awhile back my wife got a betta fish in one of those small 1 gallon tanks with no filtration or heating. Last week we upgraded the tank to a 10gallon with a heater and filter. I was reading somewhere about using a water bottle to minimize the water flow of the filter and it seemed to work well. We put the betta into his new home last night. We watched him for a few hours and he seemed to really like his new home. Everything seems to be going really good until this morning. This morning I noticed his fins were torn in multiple places. I watched him closer and he seems to flare up around the heater and then thrash around and catches his fins on the plastic of "make shift water bottle flow minimizer". I've removed the plants around that area and cut the plastic of the bottle a bit more so it doesn't hang down into the water so much but he's still swimming around the heater, flaring up occasionally and thrashing around. Im starting to get worried about what this may do to the betta and if this may cause any diseases or possible death. His fins are in very bad shape and i'm wondering if I should go get the betta some medication.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!

does your heater have a red indicator light? he may be flaring at that? maybe turn your heater around on it's suction cups so that he can't see the light or somehow block it. just a theory.

as for medication, i have had great success repairing betta fins with "Betta Revive". it comes in a little fish shaped bottle and you can find it at most larger stores like Petcetera, Petsmart, etc. I'm pretty sure Big Al's carries it as well. It has methylyne blue in it so it will stain your silicone. Daily water changes are necessary for this product to work its best.

The heater wasn't even turned on and the indicator light would stay on for maybe 2-3 seconds then turn off. My wife says he's also flaring up at the filter intake valve. I think this fish is just super picky about his environment.

Thanks for the advice on the medication, i'll head to petsmart today or tomorrow to pick it up.

It might simply be that the betta is adjusting to the new environment. I also notice that bettas will flare at their own reflection as they can often see themselves in the glass when the tank lights are on but the behavior usually goes away after a bit. The betta swimming into the current at the outflow or inflow and suddenly getting having his fins pushed or pulled by the current could be a cause of the fin damage. I have noticed my male betta sometimes gets a rip or two after playing in the current in my 58 gallon tank but it doesnt stop him from doing it.

Well we watched him for most of the day yesterday and found out it was him getting all "flared up", thrashing around and getting his fins caught on the plastic part of the "water flow minimizer", a plastic plant, and the suction cups on the heater. We went out and got Bettafix and put him back in his one gallon tank. He seems to be a lot happier now and this morning I saw him swimming about calmly and blowing bubbles again, plus he's eating his food!

Thanks again for all the advice! I hope we can heal his fins back to normal and dodge the "fin rot" :P

Well we watched him for most of the day yesterday and found out it was him getting all "flared up", thrashing around and getting his fins caught on the plastic part of the "water flow minimizer", a plastic plant, and the suction cups on the heater. We went out and got Bettafix and put him back in his one gallon tank. He seems to be a lot happier now and this morning I saw him swimming about calmly and blowing bubbles again, plus he's eating his food!

Thanks again for all the advice! I hope we can heal his fins back to normal and dodge the "fin rot" :P

Good to know you found out what was happening with him... but now he doesnt get to play in the big tank?? Also, are you treating him with the bettafix in that little one gallon tank?? If you are be very careful you are dosing correctly or slightly below recommended dosage for 1 gallon. In water volume that small I think you run the risk of overdosing quite easily. I would put him back in the 10 gallon and let him stay there. Fins will grow back eventually and he will learn spots to avoid in the tank to avoid getting himself hurt.

Sad to say it but he's going to be stuck in his 1 Gallon for a bit. This particular betta fish is probably the most picky fish i've ever taken care of. We've kept an eye on him all day today and he's so much happier in his 1 gallon. He's calm, swimming around, sleeping in his plastic plant and blowing his bubbles. For the first time in 3 days he's eaten all his food. So we decided this betta will stay in the 1 gallon. I was doing daily 30% - 50% water changes per day and I went out to get a turkey baster today to help clean his 1G tank better.

I've been doing some research on "bettafix" online and using "less than" the recommended dosage due to some posts i've read. The betta seems to be coping well with the treatment. I've also read on some sites to put an airline into his tank and it will help with cleaning the water, but i've also read that bettas don't like water movement. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

Sad to say it but he's going to be stuck in his 1 Gallon for a bit. This particular betta fish is probably the most picky fish i've ever taken care of. We've kept an eye on him all day today and he's so much happier in his 1 gallon. He's calm, swimming around, sleeping in his plastic plant and blowing his bubbles. For the first time in 3 days he's eaten all his food. So we decided this betta will stay in the 1 gallon. I was doing daily 30% - 50% water changes per day and I went out to get a turkey baster today to help clean his 1G tank better.

I've been doing some research on "bettafix" online and using "less than" the recommended dosage due to some posts i've read. The betta seems to be coping well with the treatment. I've also read on some sites to put an airline into his tank and it will help with cleaning the water, but i've also read that bettas don't like water movement. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

I am with you on this one, Bettas seem to be happy in a cup of water mixed with sludge ;) They usually aren't picky for habitats but they definitely like to have a small space with little to no water movement. In my experience and I have kept several bettas since I was 15, and all of them lived in a flower vase for about 6-7 years each, I think their life span is supposed to be around 4-5.

Currently I have a beautiful blood red betta, who every time I try to clean the tank he gets mad at me and pretty much I let the water go down to about 75% then I add fresh water and a bit of prime (TINY BIT!) and to be honest he loves it, he is super hardy and I think this lil guy could live in a mud puddle and be just as happy.

On the other forums out there I got no replies, just wanted to say thanks to all of you who replied.

It's been a few days and my betta is SOOO much happier in his small 1 Gallon tank, which is kind of sad. It would have been nice to see him in my new 10 Gallon. Oh well, time to look at stocking the other tank :thumbs:

Thanks again for all your help guys!

• 3 months later...

I am with you on this one, Bettas seem to be happy in a cup of water mixed with sludge ;) They usually aren't picky for habitats but they definitely like to have a small space with little to no water movement. In my experience and I have kept several bettas since I was 15, and all of them lived in a flower vase for about 6-7 years each, I think their life span is supposed to be around 4-5.

Currently I have a beautiful blood red betta, who every time I try to clean the tank he gets mad at me and pretty much I let the water go down to about 75% then I add fresh water and a bit of prime (TINY BIT!) and to be honest he loves it, he is super hardy and I think this lil guy could live in a mud puddle and be just as happy.

Please tell me this is a joke.

Bettas certainly are not happy in cups - and especially not with 'sludge' -- they need clean water or their skin will be burned by amonia -- sounds fun to me.

They need a MINIMUM of 2.5 gallons -- some don't do well in larger spaces because they need a lot of hiding spaces to feel comfy. There are of course the anomaly that will enjoy the smaller places but it is certainly NOT the best for their situation.

They get upset at water change time because of the methods usd to clean their tank - you need to do it with at the least trauma you can. I use a hose to syphon the watre out and then do the same to put it back in - they barely notice =)

Edited by Mermy - Fish Noob