Cichlid ID?

ace99

African Fever, I looked again and stand by my first opinion. If you look at the mouth in the first pic, it is rather round for a Aulonocara ruby red. Mine looks nothing like this one, mine is shaped more like a Aulonocara stuartgranti. just my 2 cents.

Both of you may be correct. The father of this fish was purchased at Westhills Petland 2.5 years ago labelled as "red aulonocara". I assumed that "red aulonocara" translated to "ruby red aulonocara". I suspected that he was amelanistic because he was very pale. He was purchased because I wanted to introduce some new non-albino genes into my breeding group of albino ruby reds. Low and behold, as he matured....he developed into no other ruby red that I had ever seen before. The body did not have any dark pigmentation nor blue hues...just a red/orange color...just like an albino but without the red eyes. The thing that made me question whether he was a hybrid was the red colored head and lack of colored barring on the body (red zebras have red colored heads and no barring). The original fish has died and this is the dominant male from the only clutch of fry. Out of the 16 babies, 4 had "normal" pigmentation, 4 had "OB" pigmentation, and 8 were amelanistic. You can see one of the "OB" female offsprings in the first picture.

When I questioned the fish manager back then, he admitted to not knowing exactly what species the fish were. All that he knew was that they were bred in the orient. Hmmmm <_<

Anyhow, I kind of like how he looks even though his exact identity may forever be "fish soup". He has the coloring similar to an albino ruby red but without the usual problems associated with true albinos.

The red head would be normal for a melanistic fish as there's no blue pigment present, and the red can come pretty close in normal line-bred red peacocks to covering the whole head. Just look at albino jacob's versus regular jacob's. Lacking bars would be the same; without the black pigment present in the body, there's nothing to show bars with.